Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has put shackle flips on a bronco? My friend just put them on his blazer and they are pretty cool. Any information would help a lot.

Thanks
Scott

86 Bronco 4.11's, rear lockrite, front true-trac

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
yeah.....just on the rear, though....it doesn't make the truck ride very good from what I've heard though....but that's the only complaint that I've heard.
-mike

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Hmm, I've never seen it in person but I know how it's done and it shouldn't change the ride by much. The physics are the same (unless steve says differently :) but it just lifts the truck higher above the rear of the spring. Now, on the front of superduty trucks that have the shackle from the factory right up by the bumper, moving the shackles to the rear of the springs and mounting the front on a pivot near the bumper actually smooths out the ride quite a bit...that's why ORU makes their reversal kit.

Flipping the rear shackle will pivot the pinion up, so you might be able to get rid of any wedges that you have. How much lift is the rear shackle flip supposed to give? It's something to consider if i ever go "sky high".

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for my friend with a mid 70's blazer the flips eliminated his blocks and he said that it took away most if not all the axle wrap. He said it towed much nicer. Anyone with information on where to get them for a Bronco please let me know.

Thanks
Scott

86 Bronco 4.11's, rear lockrite, front true-trac, custom front prerunner bumper with a 8000lb WARN

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Physics

The physics are the same, but the geometry is entirely different. If you don't get the shackle bracket placed correctly and the shackle angled right, it can jam against the bracket or give wierd ride characteristics. That's why companies sell kits - they've already figured it out. If you come up with something that works, take careful notes, pics, & measurements & you might be able to sell it to ORU...

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If you know of a shackle flip kit for a Bronco, then by all means, let us know! I know Offroad Design has them, but they're for GMs. And that link I posted earlier gives enough information by itself, that I'd be comfortable doing it just the way he explained it. And he does show how to get the proper angle with the shackle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I remember an article in Four Wheeler or Four Wheel and Off-Road about it.It seems like they removed both rear brackets,swapped sides,and turned them over or something.Probably just look it over real good and something will come to mind.

1996 F350 SRW 4X4 POWERSTROKE 4"LIFT 4:10 38"GROUND HOGS FULLY CUSTOMIZED
1979 BRONCO 460 C-6 205 3:50'S 33"THORNBIRDS
PROJECT CJ7 ON HOLD

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Just so you guys know, last I heard, Stephen, the owner of ORD, was working on shackle flips for Fords and Dodges. Check it out: http://www.OffRoadDesign.com

Things are slow over there right now though. Stephen's Blazer got picked to be in Four Wheeler's Top Truck Challenge. So as you can imagine, his mind is elsewhere./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 3" Flowmaster 40 DF, 4L60, K&N, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16's on 16x8 Bajas /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.