Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do a gear swap on my YJ. I have the gears, bearings, shims, and copies of several how to articles.
I have never done a gear change but am determined to learn how. I possess decent mechanical abilities and can follow directions.
Now for the question. The specs call for 12 to 16 inch pounds of preload on the pinion. Where do I find an inch pound touque wrench
that measures that low? Are there any tricks to setting up the pinion?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I have one that was a fugitive from an Army Surplus store, a refugee from military avaition. It was kind of sticky and dirty, but cleaned up just fine. You might look into renting one./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifThere are several guys on this BBS who just did some gear swaps, and I believe DDawg was one of them. He will doubtlessly have lots of tips for you./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one torque wrench that goes down to 0 inch pounds. It is a Sekonk brand and is of very good quality, not a cheap tool but very accurate and precise. It has dial readout ranging from 0 to 150 inch pounds, the more you pull, the more the dial goes up. I am not sure about rear ends but all "preloads" that I know of that goes down to 12 or so inch pounds are always on a "rolling torque" setup. In that case you are taking the reading on the bearing pressure. Too much and you will burn up the bearings ,too little and you will not be able to get the right pinion depth and or gear mesh as the pinion gear may be loose. Its a little tricky to read the torque wrench while your twisting it in circles but not to bad. Note: A "rear end" may not use this type of bearing and pinion set up, but you should check it out. I am used too seting up Marine "outdrives".
Good Luck......Herbie

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
a Dana 35c uses a crush washer to set pinion preload. don't reuse an old one, when actually setting the preload don't install the pinion seal (a new seal has some drag) don't try to do it with the ring gear installed, also i use an impact wrench to set preload, (you don't want to over tighten it, so check it often while tightening it down.
as far as a torque wrench, are you a member of a club? i bet most clubs have members who loan tools and would actually like to help.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.