Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it to set the rear springs outboard of the frame rails? All it looks like you have to do is weld box tubing to the outside of the frame and mount everything to that, and since I'll be using a buggy spring mounting the rear shackle will be a snap. But what about the front spring hangers, where can I get those? What else will need to be modified? E-Brake, longer break lines, etc??? Thanks in advance.

G

·
Sycho 15 are you planning on going width full width axles now? Which axles did you decide on? Try 4wd hardware for the front spring hanger. Some of the other modifications depend on your suspension; SOA or SUA. You will need longer brake lines. Depending on which axle you might need different driveshafts also. Depending on the brakes on the axle and which axles you may need to upgrade the brake system (doesn't hurt to do will original axles). There is probably more, but I can't think of them right now.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now I am concidering using Grand Wagoneer D44 axles but I have heard that they are not much (or any) wider than my Wrangler axles. I am looking for some of the widest axles I can run. Right now I am still SUA but in a year or two I'm hoping to change that with an SOA and enough articulation mods to net another 2.5" of lift.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Re: Setting the rear springs outboard of the frame

Why would you mount the rear springs outboard? It would be far simpler and less expensive to just move the spring pads if they even need to be moved. Also, the wider mounting would rob a bit of your potential articulation.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

I,m running a commando frame under my cj2a and the rear spring on it are mounted on the outside of frame.

brownbagg </font color=red>

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Jeepskate:
Its all for stability, and with all the articulation modifications I've got planned I'll most likely need a limiting strap to keep the driveshaft together, so doing this would help both in my stability and in keeping things realistic.
After all, 3/4 springs, Revolver shackles, OME spings SOA... this will do enough I think even WITH the springs set wider. And besides I live in FL so its nice to have some stability so I can run those huge tires to keep up with the big mudding monsters we've got here. Honestly how many times have you seen a tug-boat towline used for a strap? Thats what it takes to pull the trucks out I try to run with. Those things are incredibly heavy when soaked and muddy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.