Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people!

Ever since I installed this new "AutoZone" Carb on my '85 CJ7 it's been a NIGHTMARE!!!! I have taken it to the shop to have the carb adjusted correctly but it still hasn't fixed the problem!!! Let me elaborate... When I try to start it really early in the morning, BLACK smoke is shooting out of my exhaust after a few secs it goes away, as if it was clearing flem out of it's "system". Any ideas as to what the problem might be...?

In addition to that problem, my car has been giving me a hard time turning over when I'm starting it up too!!! The battery is new, but here's the catcher, the other day I noticed that smoke was comming from a part inside the engine, I'm not sure of the name so here's as best a description I can give; it's bolted to the body, it's cylindrical, and it's inbetween the starter and the battery! Whats that called? How much do they average...? Thanks for any help!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The part you refere too is the starter solenoid. It could be going bad, however, I would be more inclined to think your starter is going out and the smoke you saw was the heat caused by the extra load from the starter. One way to verify it is to use one side of a jumper cable and short across the starter solenoid (the big terminals)...if it turns over quicker then the solenoid is bad. No change, then the starter is going out.

Next, your carb. That black smoke is a rich fuel problem. Does it run ok once its warmed up? If so then it's most likely a choke adjustment problem. Another possibility is that the carb is leaking raw gas into the intake when not running. If this were the case, then it would happen even when warm.

Let us know what you find.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MRjazz2U, let me just take a stab in the dark Carter BBD $179.00. I just replaced him and was having the same problem. Two things to check. One is your oxygen sensor working? Two, there is a metal arm that comes off the electric choke, it needs to be bent slightly to allow the butterfly to open! This web site has some good info to refer to. If those things don't help, or you have another type carb, please let me know. [url]http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/index.htm [/URL]. One last thought AutoZone can test both starter solenoid and starter for free, just ask em!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.