Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am interested in buying new seats for my 85 cj-7. which do you guys recomend?
steel horse factory style recliners for 169.95 or bestop trailmax sport recliners for the same 169.95 thanks for your opinions

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Throw a blanket over them and wait for J. C. Whitney to have a sale, then get the Steelhorse Super Seat.
I think I gave 199.95 or 209.95 each for mine, very comfortable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STAY AWAY FROM STEELHORSE sorry i yelled but as stated on this board so many times befor steel horse sucks i bought a set of ther seats 14 days after installing them the passanger side seat started to rip the vinal away from the cloth backing and they had been sat in maybe 4 times i called steelhores and all i got was the run around about it not my dept try this guy for customer help after 30 days they were out of waranty and all i had was a riped seat and a lot of long distance phone bills i don't know about you but i will not deal with someone that wont take care of there product right after a sale just my .02 worth good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got no experience directly with the
seats but EVERY other product I've compared
between Steel Horse and Bestop, Bestop wins
hands down.
Gary '78cj7

· Registered
1,890 Posts
I've had some Steelhorse seats in my CJ-7 for about 3 yrs. They have some small cracks in the vinyl. I would'nt reccomend them if your over 6' tall. They have thicker bottoms than Besttop.
Good Jeepin

· Registered
1,929 Posts
I have the Bestop Trailmax Sport seats with fabric fronts. I bought them from Performance Products http://www.performanceproducts.com/home.asp on special for $170.96. You should see if they are still running the special. All of the Steelhorse products I have seen usually look like crap after a year. Bestop has great customer service and better products.

TOM85CJ7

P.S. I took almost 8 weeks to get the seats, Bestop can't keep up with the orders.

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak On-Board Air

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have two brand new, in the box, tan Bestop Trailmax Sport seats if you or anyone else are interested.

These seats are in every way better than the stock high back CJ seats. The side bolsters keep you firmly positioned. Leg room is greatly improved because the seats sit higher and lean back slightly more than stock. Installation is a
breeze with no snags encountered.

My problem with them.....
The seats sit about 1½ inches higher than stock and because I'm
6'2", my head now touches the bikini top ever so slightly but enough to be
very annoying. They simply will not work for me.

I bought the seats earlier this year and waited for a number of months before I installed them. Unfortunately, after having them for so long 4WD doesnt want to take them back without charging an astronomical restocking fee.

If anyone is interested in them let me know. I'm asking $250 obo for the
pair.... I paid over $350. The seats are brand new (only installed for less
than 1 hour). I have all hardware, original boxes and all literature. They
are tan cloth, reclining TrailMax Sport seats

Larry 85CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.