Off Roading Forums banner

Sealing oil sender connection

821 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WILL 
#1 ·
Looking under the hood the other day I noticed that where the connection for the oil pressure line attaches to the block is leaking. this is just a brass fitting that screws into the hole where the oil pressure sending unit used to screw in. I switched some years back to a manual gauge. What type of sealant do you put around the threads to stop the leak? I'm assuming that standard plumbers tape would be eaten away by the oil.

#2 ·
Teflon tape works just fine. Just make sure to keep it on the threads so it doesn't get into the oiling system. And actually for the last few years I have been using teflon paste (with "chunks" of teflon in it) to do the same job. It seems to do a great job and works like the old plumbers dope.

#3 ·
Well here is what I have found....Senders/sensors/tramsmitters/switches, whatever you want to call them sometimes need a to complete or make a ground to work right. There are some multiple wire senders that use one wire as a ground, but I think all 1 wire senders need that ground. If you use teflon tape it's possible to get too good of a seal and not have any metal on metal contact for a ground or just not enough. The teflon dope is probably good, just use enough to whet the threads and allow squeeze-out to permit a good ground.
Also teflon tape shouldn't be eaten away, it's kinda permanant. Also with small brass pipe thread fittings, if you use the tape you run the risk of splitting the fitting when you tighten it up enough to keep it from moveing.

#4 ·
First, he has removed the electric sender and is using a tube to a mechanical gauge.

Second, the tube should use a compression fitting. The threads don't seal it. If it is leaking, it is not because of the threads. (unless it is leaking between the adapter and block, then it is the threads)

#5 ·
Yes, it is a mechanical guage with the tube and compression fitting. I think the compression fitting is okay. It "appears" that it is leaking from the threads that screw into the block, but I am not positive. My first move is to try the teflon tape route as it is the easiest. If it leaks after that I will replace the compression fitting. I'm hoping the tape will fix it as I don't want to try to find the correct size compression fitting. I remember it as being very small........

#6 ·
There should only be the one size for tubing for a SAE thread for a mechanical gauge. NAPA should have what you need in stock too if it turns out that's where the problem is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.