Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an Scrambler today from a neighbor. It is an 86 and has disc front.In an earlier post a few people felt it wouldn't fit without a lot of welding. The axle width is wider than my 71 Jeepster, but the spring hangers seem to measure out to be in the exact same spot.it looks like a direct swap,front and back. What am I missing? Would it work to swap front and back? Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Scrambler!! Those have virtually no marketable value. I can't think of any reason to own one of those. After you take the axles...I might be able to haul off whats left for you as a favor, since your a fellow Jeepster fanatic. Grin...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one has been pretty well picked over.It has an engine and bell housing a broke trans in a box, badly rusted tub, front end body parts look good,tailgate ok,frame looks good. What I don't use goes to the bone yard.I do have a fully equiped resturant on 5 acres of land in upstate NY,buy that and the I'll include the Scrambler.Let me know if you need anything that I can't use.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I was tempted to say, no, it won't fit, and you'd better just let me dispose of it for you. But alas, I cannot tell a lie to a fellow Jeepsterer. The axles should fit right up. If you're lucky, the rear is a D44 and not a D20. I've been trying to find one of those D44's for my Scrambler out here, but no luck. I do know where there is a good Commando D44 and D30 that I would gladly trade !

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
If it is widetrac, you need to decide if you want the wider track. I would keep what you have and swap in the disc brake outers to the front. That would keep your track teh same but get you disc brakes.
Although, if it's a D44 rear, I would probably swap it all. If you are going to throw away your Commando rear axle, I have a place I could store it for you (under mine)(Somebody swapped in an AMC 20
)

·
Registered
594 Posts
The Scrambler and CJ axles are the same. I have a pair of wide trac cj axles under my 69 and like them. You need a spring over or some major cutting to clear the rear fenders. The rear spring perches ar close to 1/2 inch narrower than jeepster (close enough to use). other than that, they will bolt in with no problem. Change the axles on the AMC 20 to one piece and they will be plenty strong enough for most any wheeling.
Ken

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks to be 1 1/2 in wider on each side and I can live with that I think. The rear fenders would be close,I haven't done the check on the gear ratio's on the trans plants, would leave the orig in the rear if they match but the springs do look a little stiffer on the scrambler. Bolt up to the old springs or just put the newer springs on the hangers ? All these questions require much beer and chair time. If I wind up with an extra x you are welcome to it if my wife will let me put it in the bed of my motor home{I do mean the bed)next time I head South. All info appreciated,thanks.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Another thing to look out for would be anemic axle ratios. Sometime during the late 70's/early 80's Jeep decided that gears could be in the low 3 to high 2 range and be okay. I think they were fighting emissions restrictions at the time. I think the discs would swap, but you may do better to go open knuckle. They are usually stronger and easier to service.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll try to ID the ratio.Is there a stamp or any idication on the Axle or do I have to count the rotation? The frame on the donor looks pretty good if anyone can use it.(free). I will probably junk it when I am done.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
There may be a tag, but I would pull the cover and count the teeth to be sure. You never know what can happen. You are going to want to flush and refill the diff anyway. I have a friend (wait, stop laughing, thats not the good part) that bought a "stock" AMC 20 to replace the one in his CJ-5. It was supposed to have 3.73's in it. We pulled the cover AFTER he bought it and found 4.56's and a Lock right. That is the good kind of mistake, it can go the othe way!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion gear.

G

·
Well I have 2:73'S in my scrambler and with 33's you can forget about using fith gear.... It runs about 2grand on the tach at 55 mph....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the help. Bob,I don't even have a 4th gear so I wonder how a 225 will pull? OK now I have to start to unbolt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.