Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've put a scout D44 rear in my jeep. It came with 11"x 1 3/4" drums. Can i put in cj D44 brake drums, shoes and hardware that is 11" x 2"? or is this not possible due to the brake post on the backing plate?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used Jeep 11-inch brakes on my Scout rear 44 for awhile. It worked ok... It's been awhile, but I think I used the Jeep backing plates. In any event, I am back with the Scout brakes. The Jeep drums went on the Scout axles, but the center (indexing) hole for the Jeep drum did not index on the Scout axle. I think the Jeep drum center hole is something like 4-1/16, or 4-1/8-inch, and the Scout axle 'nub' is 3-inch ?? Not sure of the numbers, but you get the idea. Scout brakes (at least the ones I have) are 11-1/32-inch, not 11-inch like the Jeep. A Jeep drum that is turned at least .030-over will work. I ran Jeep drums on the Scout brakes for awhile... width is different, but no problem.
About Jeep shoes, on the Scout backing plate. Not sure, but my experience suggests it might work. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't try it. I could guess that the post might be located .015/.016-inch different, to compensate for the difference of 11.0 (Jeep) and 11-1/32-inch (Scout). If this is true, I doubt you would ever see it. As soon as you start to apply the brakes, the shoes would 'float' to the drum, anyway. And, who knows... maybe the posts are identical. The difference could have been made up with the lining, using the same shoes.
Good luck. And, if you are getting rid of the Scout brakes, I could use a drum or two. Let me know. BobH

bobH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks bob for the reply. Thanks for the advice, i will look into it a little more at the parts stores. i getting the drums turned this week for free, and if i dont use them and they are within wear, they are yours if you want them. i'm in southeast idaho.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts