Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know the WMS-WMS on a Scout D-44?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Front or rear ?

What year?

For the most part - they are

F = 59"
R = 57"

HTH

PS: Got your e-mail.
IF you don't get my reply by the end of the day.
One of us has e-mail issues.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front, thinking of sticking one in the YJ.

Bill. I eagerly await the writen word from you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
530 Posts
I hope you have read/looked into all the pros and cons of a Scout 44 swap.

Better choice would be a Waggy 44.
Even if you already own the Scout 44, unless it has some other redeeming features (fresh rebuild, locker, good gear ratio, etc), by the time you get done with all the fiddlin' around, you may be better off with the Waggy 44.

Just throwing in my 2¢ that you didn't ask for.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
bill is right.. those scout d44's are mearly d30 with larger ring and pinion and inner shafts.. u-joints.. from the joints out its all d30... i would get a waggy front.. and if you have gears or locker in the scout.. just swap it to the waggy front.. even the tubes are thicker..

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We prolly should talk...I've got a waggy 44 in the yard but it's gonna require a gear install, brakes and locking hubs...It's also passenger side drop...but that lets me go to a D300 and ditch the NP231. The Scout axle is already the right gear ratio and has a Loc-Right in it and won't require a new T-case. But it's comming out of an XJ.

Both are gonna require new spring perches and high steer arms (the Scout already has the Chevy flat top knuckles).

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the waggy, the scout is gonna cost me...I think I'll just let it pass. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't give up so quick.

Lemme play devil's advocate for a moment.

If the Scout 44 already has Chevy outers, it may have the heavier shafts and - if you are REAL lucky, maybe someone has turned the knuckles already ?
With your 6 cyl, smaller tires, automagic tranny, and fairly sane use of the skinny pedal, the thinner tubes are really a non-issue.

OTOH -

If you already own a Pass side drop Waggy 44
The D300 swap is a nice upgrade.
It is a little beefier.
It will have a better caster angle w/o turning the knuckles.

OTOH -

Neither axle has the correct bolt pattern to match your rear 8.8 Axle. So you are gonna have to convert something no matter what way you go.

And both are low pinion compared to your existing HP 30.
AND you loose about 1½" ground clearance compared to the D30.

What to do?

{SHRUG}
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Waggy ? Scout ?
Keep the 30 and invest in better shafts and a lunchbox?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill, you and I should probably be talking on the phone. But, OTOH, this may help some other lost soul (like myself) who can't make up their mind about what to do to the front of their YJ.

Currrently installed in the YJ is the stock D30 housing. Short side axle shaft and stub shaft are Warn alloys with the 297 joint (out of Sheldon or Donna's TJ). Long side inner is stock, long side outer and stub are new Dana/Spicer's with the 297 joint. I have the Powertrax lunchbox locker. I have the parts to do the Goferit Offroad Tie Rod Flip Kit.

I have in the yard (about a dozen axles...) but the one I'm thinking of using under the YJ is a waggy 44. But as said above it's the wrong gear ratio, needs brake calipers and needs the locking hub conversion done to it...

Once the Commando can take over the "light wheeling" duties from the YJ (hopefully by September), the YJ is gonna go under the knife. SOA and 35's. That's why I'm thinking a swap to the D300, twin sticked would be better than adding more stuff to the NP231 (2-low kit).

Putting conversion spacers on the 8.8 does not bother me. The Commando is gonna be 5 on 5.5 (original D30 front/D44 rear) so having all one size/type rim around would be nice...

So, what do you think now? How about the rest of you?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Are you really gonna hammer the dana 30 enough to warrant the loss of clearance and the cost to convert over to one of the other axles you have?

I admit I don't know much about the high clearance 30's but if they are like the 30's out of the CJ's (strength wise). I say upgrade the axles shafts and wheel it til you do break it. Put the additional money into something else you need and if you do break it, then do the upgrade, .. but thats just my .02

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Galen,

I just acquired an '80 Cherokee that I've already removed the drivetrain from. It is driver-side drop D44 on the front... but has crappy gearing - 2.73's, and full-time hubs. You're welcome to it - wanna trade your p/s fer it??? I'm game...

I've got to go down by Rocky Mount sometime in the next month or two to pick some stuff up, I could bring it then... unless you need it sooner.

Let me know, [email protected]

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
whoa.. late reply..

Um.. scout 44 is passanger side drop... so you have to swapthe tcase anyways no?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Once the Commando can take over the "light wheeling" duties from the YJ (hopefully by September), the YJ is gonna go under the knife. SOA and 35's.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA! where'd that come from? I thought you wanted to leave the YJ pretty much alone, and build the 'mando. That really explains to me why you didn't seem to worried about your bumper falling the yj.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I started looking at what it was gonna cost to really build the Mando, against what I've already put into the YJ...Seemed silly to leave the YJ as a "light wheeler" and completely muck up the Commando...I bashed the body on the YJ (first really good dent) this weekend at URE...gonna just take the hammer to it...It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I'm still gonna go SOA with the stock D44/D30 on the Mando, locking front and rear on 32's, make the interior nice enough for the Lovely Jeep Wife. Then use it as the 'round town Jeep and light wheeler.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
If you guys can figure out how to shorten the tubes and locate the diff. housing, and Can give you the name of a place that does GREAT axle work VERY reasonably.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, gonna try to have the Commando ready for it. You get your regestration in?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
No, not yet. Sitting here in front of me. Trying to figure out what will be going... dang non-runnin' junk!

I want to be able to pull in w/ my trail rig trailered behind my J-20 utility body... But, gotta get it back down here from OH... or get the 'designated' DD up and running.

I cannot believe a year has passed already... nor that I have not been out on a trail since THEN!!! Grrrrr...!!! And, very lame... I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
i say... get a waggy front... if you get drivers side drop.. keep the transfer case... and swap everything over to it.. and build it.. or get a passenger side drop and build it... with a d300... now as far as strength of trnsfr case.. mmmm... if you are running 35's.. i wouldnt think it matters to much.. you will probably want better gearing in it no matter what it is.. so look into that.. i can get the terra low 4:1 kit with all hd output shafts and rebuild kit for the d300.. for 1k.. i do not know what price the 231 stuff goes for...
i know this doesnt help much.. but you are the one thats going to have to decide on what you want..
just to throw something else into the pot.. how about a hp d44 out of a late 70's ford.. uh.. uh.?.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

and to whoever said something about running the d30 turd till it brakes.. ya.. you are one guy that holds everyone up on every trail ride???? if he is talking of running 35's and hittin it hard.. you lock a d30 and you can kiss that r&p good buy.. so quit polishin a turd...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts