Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I just bought a d44 for my CJ. Does anyone know what gears a 78-79 Travel all with diesel. Does anyone know what gears would be in there? I have been told 409s/410s

Any help would be great. THanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brian, my book shows the diesel with the 4 speed wide ratio came standard with the 4.09 and 3.73 optional. The 4 speed close ratio came with 3.73 standard and 4.09 optional. Since you already have the 44 I'd just pop the cover and check it.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a couple of good articles in the Jeep tech section about swapping axles that answer that question. I can't remember off the top of my head. You can also use your D30 outer knuckles on the front if you want.
Also before somebody says something did you mean to say the axles came from a Scout Traveler or Traveltop, because the Travelall is a whole differt vehicle more like the a Suburban.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I thought you were putting them under front and rear.
Still got me confused though the last Travelall was produced in 1975 and was never offered with a diesel. I could'nt find any info about Scout diesel with auto just the 4 speed. If it did come with an auto there's a good chance it could be a 3.54.

Bob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just put a 74 I believe scout rear in my 1980 CJ7 and used the origional rubber brake line. I'm not sure about yours, but on mine, I had to redrill the hole for the mounting bolt/breather tube. the Scouts was begger than the Model 20's. Also I had to lengthen the rubber line. I went the cheap route and disconnected the line from the frame and used a 2" spacer and bracket and re bent (minimally) the line to give it more downward travel. My problem was that the Scouts was placed a little further out board than the AMC 20.
Hope this helps
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Two questions about checking the gears. Where is it written on the ring? on the side?

ALso, I heard from someone that you could spin the yoke and count how many times it goes around compared to the axle and figure out the gearing. True?

Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 V8/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On mine, it has the number of teeth on the ring and the number of teeth on the pinion stamped on the ring gear like "41-10" being 4.10 ratio. You can do the spin thing, but you either need to rotate both axles exactly one turn or keep one still and rotate the other. But when you are looking for a difference of like a quarter turn of the pinion I think it gets a little tough. But it can be done. You'll have to take the cover off to change the oil anyway, why not just do it now.

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts