Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a 79 Cj7 witht he obvious model 20 and dana 30. Not happy...too weak. Who has done scout axles and how much of a pain is it. I can get them for relatively cheap with brakes. Just let me know what is all involved in this project.......Oh yeah also take a look at my herculiner question. About 5 post down.

Thanks

she thinks all my trucks are sexy!!!!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
it is a lot harder toput scout axles under a cj than it is a wrangler.. the wrangler frame is wider and accepts them easier, but it is not impossible.. if you aren't planning on narrowing them, you have to make your spring perches a bit wider in the front.. i have seen a few different ways of doing this, and they all seem to work pretty good.. the most common being welding triangular mounts to the outside of the frame. it only have to go out about 2-3 inches each side.. the rear axle just needs the spring pads moved.. the caster won't be perfect in the front, but it is livable if you keep spring under

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Let's see, 79 CJ would have the narrow track axles. I had a Scout II rear axle narrowed to AMC 20 narrow track measurements by Dutchman Motorsports of Portland Oregon. The total cost was not more than $150 if I remember right. I live close to Dutchman. I also did some of the tear down which included cutting the spring perches and cleaning myself to help keep cost down. I reused the AMC 20 brake wheel cylinders on the Scout II brake backing plates. I still have my Dana 30 front axle.
dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts