Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Scout 44's in the spring under con fig? I'm happy with the flex I
have now without worrying about wheel hop. I want to replace my D30 and have a
line on a couple Scouts. I still haven't decided whether or not to cut them down or
run full width but do want to keep the perches under the frame. Any help, thoughts,
advice is appreciated.

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if you are just replacing the front. i say cut it down.. you can do most of it yourself.. send the shafts to moser to get cut and resplined.. or have a local do it.. elusive has a scout in his.. we are doing a spring over tho..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Im curious too,

if the caster is wrong on the scout axle for a CJ with SOA, so if its spring under is it still wrong?

I dont intend to cut them down, thats too much $$ in custom crap I might have to replace at a later date, its a factory application somewhere or Ill figure something else out...

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
well to cut them down...you can grind off the knuckles, in this grind straight into the knuckle till you see the seam. then whack it off with a sledge. get you self some cutting device, ie. saw-zaw, heavy grinder, whatever.. and cut off 4" on the long end. send that shaft to get cut and resplined.. about 100 bucks.. put the knuckles on with the awle under the jeep.. so you can set your caaster angle. should be around 6 degrees pos.
will have some pics up in a week or two.. am doing this to a 44 for mine.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
3" there jeepgod
3 inches..like your.....never mind.....
i cut mine down to cj widetrack length and it was really easy.. you really only need to grind off the long side and cut all 3 inches off that...or just use the scout axles front and rear, or live with it being 3 inches wider in the front

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Elusive -

What is the width of your narrowed 3" axle. Wide tracks are 55.8" (or just say 56"). Everyone I know whose narrowed a Scout front axle has narrowed it 4".

What outers did you use, D30s or the scout outers or some other outer knuckle?

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

G

·
You have to move the spring perches (for better or worse) if you run full-width. No way to avoid that on the passenger side as the perch is right up against the pumpkin.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
You don't have to move the springs, you can always have 4" more sticking out on one side than the other. A guy in our club did this and it runs fine (but looks a little strange). I went the hard way and moved them, I like that symmetrical look. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

The attached pic is of the guy with the 4" on one side. He wheels with us frequently and doesn't seems to have a problem. Unless you're looking for it, you don't notice the extra, but then everything is so tweaked from him rolling it so many times it might be a little hard to tell. He got last years "rollover award" from the club. It's a Scrambler with Q78 Swampers.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

Attachments

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My wheels are reversed 3 inches (wider stance) so if I use the Scout 44 uncut
could
I just offset that one wheel to compensate?

The attachment is what the Jeep looks like now.

My first Jeep was a CH-47 "Chinook"
83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts