Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put up most of the pictures I have of my scout axle swap. Theres too many, and thier too big for putting here on the board, click this link instead. http:// scout axle swap

I don't have a writeup yet, but I know there are a few people on here doing/thinking of doing this swap, if you got questions, feel free to email me.

And for you guys still with the AMC20 and Dana 30, I now have quite a few leftover goodies for those if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. I'd like to do a scout front end some time. I'm interested in the details about modifications that have to be made to the steering. I will continue to run spring under axle.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks for posting pics. I'm also interested in how you hooked up your steering. What parts did you have to buy to make it work? I have a pair of '78 Scout Dana 44's in my shop waiting for me to have some time to swap them

Mark

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at the pics, I don't have my steering setup yet.... but what turned out to be the cheapest, (and probably overkill at that) is the 7/8 TRE kit that Parts mike offers. I got my axle located under the jeep, did a rough backyard alignment (don't need to be much closer than 1/8 inch for measurements) and then I measured from the center of hole on the outer to the center of the hole on the pitman arm (with steering box at center posistion) and the same for the tie rod, center of hole to center of hole.

I think Parts Mike wanted 260 bucks, and I am waiting to hear back about shipping. The kit he gives you uses DOM tube and 7/8 TRE's. By the time I added up all the costs of trying to fab up a steering system, it cost more than just buying brand new stuff made to fit.

Hope that made sense, if not ask away, the swap is still pretty fresh in my overworked brain...

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
You could reuse the dana 30 parts from the knuckle out with the scout stub shaft. Then you can just cut and lenthen your stock steering parts.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sure can... scout rod ends are only 45 bucks a piece plus shipping... You need to lenghten the cj drag link. The welding shop here in town won't do it (liability), and while I trust my welding abilities on flat stock, rods are another issue alltogether. To have one made with cj ends was 100-150 bucks, depending on where you buy it. I guess a guy could buy some dom tube, two dies, and two rod ends, but by the time I added all of that up, 260 bucks built to my specs with all new parts was cheaper *for me*

If I had access to more junk yards to find more parts, sure, coulda done it cheaper.

plus you need a reamer either way you go (use scout stuff, or 7/8 TRE's) its another 60 bucks plus shipping.

The front axle swap is cheap, but there costs involved no matter how you go about it.

YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.