Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the stock gap on a tbi 454? And would openning it up without coil mods do anything for me? This is kinda a takeoff from AJM's MSD post.

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'm assuming stock gap will be either .035" or .045". You can try opening it up a bit... If you don't notice a difference, then you probably need to upgrade your coil, and/or upgrade to a spark box (MSD, Jacobs, etc... I'd say MSD since they're the ones I've heard the best about, and the one I'm intending to get when the $ appears)...

I have a Holley carb on my 454, and I have my plugs gapped around .045". I assume it couldn't hurt to open it up a bit more, but I've not gotten around to it...

This is where lots of patience and experimentation is best... Might want to keep track of your fuel mileage before and after your adjusting the plug gaps to at least give somewhat of an indicator what the changes are doing. Try to drive it about the same. Keep in mind that anything you do to the engine will make it feel better just because that's what your mind will tell you (at least that's what occurrs with me, so I tend to have someone independantly confirm what I discuss with them by having them drive before and once again (and not telling them anything has changed)... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif...

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing I have done so far has really made a difference to me. Thanks for the advice. I ight open them a little tommorow just to see.

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts