Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I got the air compressor working...
I've been thinking about getting a little sandblasting attachment from Sears. It's basically just a bucket for holding blasting media with a blasting nozle attached.
First, do they work ok? They only cost around $50.
second, how do you use one without ruining stuff in the garage? In other words, what do you surround the item/area you are blasting with so you don't blast the garage walls(makes landlord unhappy) or your tires or whatever else is in the immediate area that you don't want blasted.
I've only used those blasters that are enclosed in cabinets for small parts, so I don't quite understand how you use these "open" ones.
Any information is appreciated, as always.

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
Got the exact same setup. Used it to sandblast some headers before putting on the heat resistant paint. I don't have a garage, but would not advise using this method near anything. I took all of the equipment to the furthest point in my backyard, and sand went everywhere! Out of a 50 pound bag of sand, I think 25 pounds came out of my clothes, hair and ears! Trust me, get a good hood, and don't try it in your garage, unless you're ready to spend as much time cleaning up as you did on the sandblasting. It might be a waste of sand, but you have to do with what you've got!

Greg

G

·
Hey Dan. Greg's advice is good advice. Using this kind of blaster works well, and upto the point that the slag hits the surface you are blasting, its not much different then a cabinet blaster. However, once it (slag) is free, the slag goes EVERY where... I am still cleaning it out from my garage... I promptly started blasting things outside.

I suppose, if you really have to do it inside, surrounding the whole work area with thick mil plastic walls might contain it to that general area, but it will still get places where you don't want it.

Do wear a good hood and probably at least a good dust mask to keep the heavy stuff out of your lungs...

Jim O'Brien
[email protected]
My jeep page

G

·
My little brother was contemplating getting one of those or the type of sandblaster that hooks up to a pressure washer (the water kind). I was wondering if anyone has one of those (like a $30 adapter). Also does sandblasting distort metal easily? He is restoring an old gas pump and some of the metal is somewhat a thinner gauge than say a car body. Thanks.
cjase

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but
not our children's children, because I don't think children
should be having sex. " --Jack Handy

G

·
Why not save up and get a cabinet? There's a "desktop" sized cabinet for confined spaces available for around $250.00 I think. If you are interested, check out Eastwood Automotive Chemicals. They sell the stuff on line. Besides that product they have all types of body restoration supplies, rust inhibitors and many other chemical restoration products you might need.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
For the smaller stuff that needs to be done, the cabinet is my preference, but what happens when you get some rust on a non removable part? /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif That's where the cabinet style is useless, unless you get the "family size" cabinet... /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Just drive the Jeep up in there and do your blastin'... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I hope you realize I'm sort of joking... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4

G

·
I bought a '68 CJ5 last Oct and I've been blasting ever since. My air compressor has served me well for years and now I need sandblasting capability. (As opposed to simply buying a tool because some day you might need, want it). I even broke my own rule of "buy the best tools you can afford and keep them forever". I bought a Campbell-Hausfeld "cheapie" from Harbor Frieght for about $30. Figured the worst that could happen is that it would be junk and I'd wouldn't be out much. Wrong! The thing works great. I've been using glass bead (not as aggressive as slag) and that stuff can get everywhere! So frist job was a bunch of small parts (cabinet sized stuff). Well if I'm going to spend a couple of c-notes of this project it better bolt to the jeep, I'm not buying a cabinet. Again, a little time and trying can't hurt.

I got a cabinet sized cardboard box, cut a chamfer off the top/front, cut a piece of 1/8" plexiglas I had lying around. It's hinged and sealed with duct tape (so I trash a few feet of tape each time around, so far I'm only out the original $30) I got inspired and cut a piece of hardboard to fit in the bottom on a gentle slope, hot glued it in place. A "sand recovery" tube leading to a bucket. A few small holes for air & sand lines, zip tie a fluorescent utility light inside and I was ready to go. The only difference is mine dosen't have red paint. I've been blasting any thing I could stuff in there and it works fine. When I get some time I'll try cleaning out the shop vac and redoing the "sand recovery" porition if only to have a better unit that a $250 cabinet.

Then came the floor pieces over the tranny. I got a heavy gauge clear plastic tarp, rolled and spring clamped the edges and part of the top right in the middle of the garage floor. Just look through the plastic. Goggles and a dust mask (they wanted more for a hood than the blaster), gloves. You need a small "exhaust" port in the big bag for the air to get out. If you roll one edge a little loose and don't work at that end the sand will precipitate out of the air stream.

I did the floor pans and the headers. I carefully "disassembled" the bag, after every thing was put away I swept up less than a handful of sand. I've got the $30 sand blaster, about $32 in blast media and saved hundreds!

1968 CJ-5 225 V6/T14/18/27frt/44rr

If life gets boring, risk it!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all for saving a few $$$'s!! I still have my large cardboard box from my air compressor lying around waiting to get trashed...i think I'll make a cabinet out of it. Will it hold up ok? Obviously if you shoot the sand right at it it won't.
I was also thinking of sandblasting the rear portion of my frame, so I need a garage sized cardboard box for that one...

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
CJ Joe good post...I've made every cabnet I've ever used. Cool/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Ideas on the "open" blasting with the plastic.
It's like a jeep , why buy it for$$$$$$ , when you can build it for next to $00000000/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.