Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice. I've got a 91 EB that's spent it's entire life in SoCal and is now in Connecticut. The body is in great shape (sure stands out here in the rust belt).

Anyone have PROVEN ideas on how I should rust-proof it?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I moved to arkansas and haven't had any rust problems at all. I'd try that :)

Seriously though, down here we of course don't have much snow, so it ain't a problem. What exactly is it that causes the rust and is it just a problem on the body or the frame too? I would think that if you could keep snow from getting caught in nooks and crannies that would help out a lot, like big mud flaps maybe? They're ugly but not as ugly as rust, IMO.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Getting it undercoated would definately keep the underside looking good and rust-free. Sometimes you have to go back once a year a get a quick spray to redo the places that get worn out from rocks and such. To keep the body looking good just to wash it every so often. Perhaps more in the winter if the roads get loaded with salt. Mines 6yrs old now and not a trace of rust except under the rear bumper area where the undercoating is getting chewed up but nothing major. People with rusty broncos must not wash them too much or live in a real hostile/salty evironment.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Stay away from south florida then . However i would definitly recommend removing the tailgate access panel and get a coating, eastwood company makes one, and coat the lower tailgate area inside, every bronco i see 8 to 10 years old has a rusted tailgate, mine did.
But i also had a bad problem in the broncos famous gutter crack area also.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I live in salt-belt central

Canada's Ontario and we use salt 6 months of the year, some years. One word "Krown". There is no question in my mind how effective this stuff is. I had a 15 year old car from Georgia that didn't have undercoating and it was shot with Krown the first year it arrived up here, and not every year like they recommend. It was eight winters later that it finally started to rust.

Krown is particularly effective on older vehicles and cars that already have some rust. It stops rust in it's tracks.

My two cents

Malcolm

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
It's definitely the salt that's gonna attack it, so undercoat it thouroughly, wash the underside frequently, coat the inside bottom of the tailgate, and replace the tailgate window weatherbelts as soon as they need it (NOW?).

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
Build it; Don't buy it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts