Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this is a common problem on many CJ's. Has anyone had any success repairing the rust? If you have let me know how it went or how much it may have cost you to have it repaired. Thanks!

Alec

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
As you can see, the little moon guy has his tongue sticking out. That is because he is beat from welding the rear of the CJ frame. My frame rails were full of rust and thin, AND my spring hangars were shot. What we did was COMBINE the spring hangars with the bumper that we are building, to make the springs (and the bumper)hang on to something that spreads the strain over a longer distance, and welded side plates to the frame to beef up thin areas. We are adding a fairly heavy rear bumper to help balance out the Jeep for snow-covered steep roads (that's all we have up here), and this is just part of it. We also have a two Jeep can rack and a swingout spare. By filling all three gas tanks, we have a pretty fair shot at getting the rear to stick, along with our modified Quadra-Trac.

CJDave

G

·
It really depends on where it's rusted. The boxed cj frames rust in two places. The very rear right where the rear crossmember is attached, and the inside rail right above the front hanger for the rear spring. The first of which is a firly easy ix that can be done with 1/8" steel bent at a 90 degree for 6 inches and rebox the frame. the later repair requires a bit more thought depending on the sevarity of it.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
418 Posts
My CJ5 already had the rear crossmember replaced when I bought it. I had the driver's side frame at the front rear spring hanger welded (it was cracked but not badly rusted) when I bought it for about $50, and just did the passenger's side a few days ago, which required two small (2"x8") patch plates and cost $60.

-Dana

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom tempered and
controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest
Rome become bankrupt" -Cicero, 68 B.C.

G

·
Depending on where the rust is, you might want to take a look at MORE's frame reinforcement plates http://www.mountainoffroad.com . I bought the front and rear sets ($150/set) for my 82 CJ-7. I haven't installed them yet, but they're extremely beefy (3/16" thick) and are cut with all the mounting holes, etc. which look like they're going to line up perfectly with the stock holes in the frame. I'll be posting some pics of the install of the plates and MORE's SRS for YJ springs in about 2 weeks.

Dean
http://thesilverbox.com/dean.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.