Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed the tub from my 81 CJ7 and the frame body mounts are all rusted.

What can I do? Does any one sell a replacement mount?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
it may be easier to build your own using a little angle iron and some gussets. this also gives you a chance to add about an inch of body lift that uses no blocks (more strength).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked J&L but I didn't see anything on the web site.

Also would a MIG that is rated to 1/4" be good enough for this purpose

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif You can probably get by with that welder if you use some cunning and skill. The problem is always getting "up to heat" ....that is getting the weld hot enough BEFORE you get to the end of the weld. Wire machines are bad enough about that as is is. So you need to sort of weld around an insignigificant area FIRST to get the heat built up then swing over to your seam. Does that make any sense?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif That 1/4" raing is probably Max-Max-Max, so the duty cycle will not be very long. Well anyway, with that machine...always be striving for penetration and try to focus the weld on the spots which will heat the best wnen you are first starting to weld up a seam./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The frame body mounts aren't made of 1/4", 1/8" max. I have the little 110 Lincoln, and I've done a ton of work with it just like that. All you need
to do is cut a little square of metal the size of the top, weld it on, and use a hole saw to duplicate the original size hole. I've done that repair a
couple times on my now retired CJ-7 on the tub and frame size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Terry L. Howe http://www.off-road.com/~txh3202

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Mark, how you doing? I just got back from CA and what a great time I had. What a beautiful state...lots of trails...anyway, I had the same problem with my CJ but I was able to fix it by making my own supports. I think Leon Rosser sells the supports for around $21 but you have to weld tem. Are all the supports bad or only the ones in front of the rear tires?

Good luck.

John C.

[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My rear body mounts on my 83 CJ were rusted out too. My welder made his own replacement mounts and bushings with a new bolt through it. Good as new!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how thick should the top plate be, if that is all I'll be replacing? Also how important would it be to do this to all mounts, even the good ones, so that it is all level?

BTW J&L has the mounts $24 for 2.

Thanks
Mark F

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.