Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 is starting to suffer from a little rust. It's in the usual spots; right, rear top of wheel and bottom center of tailgate. The good news is it has only bubbled the paint, there are no holes...yet. What is the best way (method, materials, etc.) to repair these spots? Any suggestions you guys have are appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that kinda sucks. I hate bodywork too! How hard is it to get the panel off and where's the best place to get a repair panel? Or I could borrow a sawzall and.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, on my '91 XLT had the same problems.
Also on my 80 Subaru, which at the time was 19 years old...

Believe it or not, I used Good Ole Naval Jelly to clean up and stop the spread of the rust. Zapped it with a little primer, and sprayed a little paint, and poof.... good to go.

I guess depending on how bad your rust is and what you'd like it to look like, it may help you out....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sand it down and use the naval jelly or a good rust converter, if it is pitted into the metal spread a thin coat of 3m glazing putty, sand smooth, prime,seal and paint.
Just make sure you get all of the infected area or it will continue, also raw primer on steal absorbs moisture

·
Registered
908 Posts
tim84bronco is right just did the ruxt on mine used a paint removing wheel on a drill sanded down to bare metal used some extend and puttyed sanded smooth and prime and painted dont forget to paint to see if it is straight and then you will probley have to sand and reputty and paint again until you get it really smooth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a product called Por-15 I have used on my 81.
It is billed as a rust killer, sealer, preventer. If you use it properly I think it is a great product. Check out there website, it is very informative and I have used several of there products and liked them all. Especially using fiberglass cloth and there products to repair interior holes and coating the inside of my new fenders and quater panels. It acts like a super undercoating.

www.por-15.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
POR15 is pretty good stuff.

you just have to make certain that you prep / final it properly.

It is UV sensitive, and requires to be top-coated.

I'm currently doing the bottom of my truck.

It seems to stretch itself pretty far, and goes on really easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree that POR-15 is good stuff. I used it about 6 or so months ago and the rust hasn't returned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again guys. I'll try to get some pics of the spots tomorrow and upload them. There really not bad yet...thank God! I'll let you know how the repair works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
had the same prob with my 87. i replaced thr d/s fender with a panel from jeffs bronco graveyard ( good piece fit very well) and the p/s just had the bubbles showing so i sanded and painted it, with in 2 weeks the bubbles were back and worse!!!! the rust comes from the back, thats great, i love salt on the roads!. if your keeping it replace the panel and be done with it. find a newer tailgate thats clean, or get a shell. my .02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts