Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would I need to change in order to run two 6' KC lights and two 55w fog lights?? I also have a stereo which draws some power also Right now my voltage gauge is a acting up it will be really low when I first start then after a couple minutes it come's back up but when it is good and warm it is low but not in the red yet when idiling at a stop light. Any suggestions? It is an 88 YJ 4.2. Thanks

Ride 'N' High

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use relays so that I don't run the high amp current thru the switch. Also would look for a high amp alternator; chances are you won't have all the lights on at the same time but those Daylighters draw some juice! The relays generally have a wiring diagram on the package, and if you search the board I know that the alternator issue has been addressed before. I think some light wiring schematics have been posted also.

Ken

G

·
Run them at the same time? Hmmmm.
55w x 2 = 110 watts

KC lights, you didn't say if they're 100 or 160, or whatever. I'll split the difference and call them 130 watts.

130 watts x 2 = 260 watts

260watts + 110 watts = 370 watts.

370 watts / 12volts = 30.8 amp draw

So with both of those lights on, and nothing else, you're pulling 30 amps. Add in the ignition, the other lights, the stereo (modified stereo??), and a few conveniences (say heater and wipers) and you're probably pulling 60-70 amps with everything on. If you're running a stock alternator, it will NOT provide 60-70 amps at idle. Installing a bigger battery will only mask the symptoms...installing a bigger alternator is probably the only way to be able to run both at the same time without worry. Before you post on 'what is the alternator upgrade for my jeep", do a search, there's lotsa info. Also, when you first start your jeep, blip the throttle once and see if that affects the charging.

I Jeep, therefore I am.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts