Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I get away with running 35s with only a 3 or 4 inch lift on my 03 Rubicon? And what is the smallest lift I could use to run 33s? Thanks Guys

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I run 35x12.50's on mine - with a 4.5" long arm from Rubicon Express - never have touched them.

A lot depends on your wheel's offset too.

The first wheels I had cleared fine (aluminum trash), the next set (steel) were slighly inset, they barely touched the frame in the rear on a good twist. The cure was 1" wheel spacers in the rear.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I beleve JP mag had a breief note in a recent mag about a company doing a small lift 1-2 in and running unnormanly large tires. looked like a lot of metal mods?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The rubicon is already lifted stock, so if you apply a standard jeep lift (non rubicon) you have to subtract the factory lift. Good news is, some companies are already making Rubicon specific lifts, which take into account their current height.

A stock Rubicon can run 31's with few issues, and 33's will just barely rub, I'd say add a 6.5 long arm though... if you're gonna do it... do it big with the Rubicon, it can take it and beg for more

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The rubicon is already lifted stock, so if you apply a standard jeep lift (non rubicon) you have to subtract the factory lift. Good news is, some companies are already making Rubicon specific lifts, which take into account their current height.

A stock Rubicon can run 31's with few issues, and 33's will just barely rub, I'd say add a 6.5 long arm though... if you're gonna do it... do it big with the Rubicon, it can take it and beg for more

[/ QUOTE ]

your fulla poo
while rubicons are about a half inch higher, it's only because they use stiffer springs.
Rubicons run 31's with NO issues.. they come stock
rubicon specific lifts?? huh???
perhaps you are referring to the change in 2003.. coincidentally the same year the rubi came out, but there is no difference in a lift for a 2003 rubi or a 2003 any other TJ.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
Correct - almost - even the springs are the same.
The fender flares make the difference for more clearance.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Do I remember right that the rubi uses a metric tire that is 31" tall? I thought I read that somewhere because the metric tire was just slightly narrower to keep from rubbing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

your fulla poo
while rubicons are about a half inch higher, it's only because they use stiffer springs.
Rubicons run 31's with NO issues.. they come stock

[/ QUOTE ]

At full extension 31" tires will rub the flares. I've only seen this on the 2006 rubicon unlimited model however.

[ QUOTE ]
rubicon specific lifts?? huh???
perhaps you are referring to the change in 2003.. coincidentally the same year the rubi came out, but there is no difference in a lift for a 2003 rubi or a 2003 any other TJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Factory specs indicate the Rubicon is indeed lifted, this is not just stiffer springs(although it does indeed have stiffer springs), but an actual lift of 1 and a half to 2 inches. Removal of the stock suspension from a Rubicon and replacement with a standard 4" lift will only increase your ground clearance 2 and a half inches over stock. But please, by all means, because I'm full of poo, ask your local Jeep dealer, and compare them at www.jeep.com. And for that matter, compare the OEM suspension replacement part numbers at your local dealership.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
I have a '03 Rubicon!
I removed the suspension to put on a RE 4.5 LA. at 8,000 miles. I did the installation myself, so I ended up with the parts left over.

A few months later I installed the same RE LA on a '04 non-Rubicon. Again I kept the parts left over.

Comparing springs and all other parts revealed there was NO DIFFERENCE. The part number Tags still on both sets of springs were the same numbers. If they are different, stronger, taller etc then how do they differentiate between them? Wire diameter, and length are identical, even the paint is the same.

The arms were indentical too - and they are indentical to a Cherokee as well. I've used some of the arms already to repair other Jeeps after I strenthened them. I used one set of springs on an older TJ since then - to replace the old ones that were sagging quite a bit - seemed to be identical there too, but hard to tell as the old ones were pretty bad.

Yes, the stock Rubi tires are/were 16" metric somethings, comparing to 31x9.50x15's - not by a chart, but by my tape measure. I did have a set of 31x9.5's on another Jeep to compare them to (now it has 36's).

On the original configuration, supension, tires etc., I was not ever able to get the tires to touch anything in even the worse twisting situations. Jumping and landing twisted it may have been able to, never tried that.

Notice the flares on a Rubi are wider and the opening larger than on a girlie Jeep. Sitting side by side the Rubi is taller by a little - from the taller tires, nothing else.

The Jeep Rubicon literature does not indicate any difference in springs or suspension, nor does the FSM.

Some magazine articles have misstated the facts = but those were written by the same people that love Hummers and parking lots.

It is possible that the springs may be different on an unlimited, dunno.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Notice the flares on a Rubi are wider and the opening larger than on a girlie Jeep.

[/ QUOTE ]

BWHAHAHAHA! "Girlie Jeep" like with a 7slot grill & inline 6? BWHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks for brightening my evening bro! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts