Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,115 Posts
If you're not looking at their Extreme Duty lift, then look elsewhere. The standard kit is nothing to write home about. I installed one for a guy about 2-3 months ago and got him out wheeling with us. My 2" Superlifted CJ-7 with no other mods beyond greasable shackles and RS9000's flat out embarasses his YJ on the RTI ramp and rides like a Caddy compared to his. I rode with him Saturday for the 2 hour jouncy ride to the trail and back, got back in my CJ to go home and felt like I was riding in a car. I'd recommend a good 2.5" lift like OME, RE Extreme Duty, National Spring, Warn, Dick Cepek teamed with some quality shocks, a mild 1/2" shackle lift and 1" body lift. It'll far outperform just about any 4" lift.

G

·
I put thier lift on about a year ago. At first I was a little dissapionted, but now after the springs have softened up I am happy with it. I ramp about a 900 with no sway bars or track bars, and for the $450 including shocks, u-bolts, and all the other stuff it came with, it was a good deal. However, from what I have heard is that they switched spring makers between now and then, and I have heard many bad things about the new springs. Best bet would to be sure what type of springs they are using and what thier spring rate is.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
Only a mild one of 1/2", my friend...don't get carried away. I've never said an absolute "no" to shackle lifts, only to ones over 1/2" which is pretty common for replacement aftermarket shackles.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
The standard springs are cheap, run-of-the-mill jobs. The extreme duty springs are high quality...I think they may be made by National Spring. Other than complaints about missing parts, I've heard nothing but good reports from folks who have the extreme duty.

G

·
yes- i have heard nothing but good things from national spring. who else carries 'em in their suspension lifts? Do they make stock-type no lift springs, and if they do, is the ride better?

G

·
Oh oh... I just bought some aftermarket shackles, I'm thinking they're giving me almost 2" over stock (center hole to center hole)...

They're greasable shackles... with a Warn 3.5" lift... too much? I'm running (until they're worn off) 31.5" BFG A/T's with stock rims... The shackels are top quality after market by trailmaster... too tall?
Thanks!

JV500
94 YJ, I6, 3.5" Warn lift, 31.5 BFG A/T
more to come, now that it's paid off

G

·
2" longer than stock gives you 1" of lift. It will throw off your caster, and cause a wandering feel on the road. The general concensus is to stick to no more than 1" longer (1/2" lift) like Jeepskate was saying, this provides a little boost without the seriously negative effects. I had a set that gave me 1.25" lift on my YJ before switching to 2" lift springs, and they rode harsh. The welded in cross piece would also bottom out on the frame on the rear set when going over bumps at any speed over 25 mph, but that was with soft stock springs.

G

·
Jeepskate, I'm interested in the RE Extreme Duty springs, but I haven't been able to find any info on them. RE doesn't have them on their site and they're not real good at answering email. Unfortunately by the time I get home from work, RE is closed so I can't call them. Are there any write-ups, pics, etc. on the web any where? Any idea how much the kit costs? I'm thinking of putting my OME's on my 86 CJ-7 since my GF uses the thing for a grocery getter, and getting some taller YJ springs for my 82, but I don't want to sacrifice ride quality if I can avoid it.

TIA
Dean
http://thesilverbox.com/dean.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.