Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 84 CJ7, can I use 2.5" RS9000 shocks with the stock springs. If so, what adverse effect might this cause. I want to replace the springs eventually, but can't do it all at once. Also could I use my current shocks with 2.5" springs.

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While it is possible to use either combination you talked about, neither is recommended. The lenght of your stack shocks is made for the stock springs. If you increase the shock lenght, you are moving the internal piston out of it's "comfort zone", the place where your ride is the most comfortable. As a shock expands and contracts, it regulates pressure. A longer spring with the stock shock extends your shock to the point of almost maxing out, thus making it almost useless, and dangerous, espescially off road. Your best bet would be to save your money and get everything at once, or, go with some shackles to give you more lift until you can afford the springs. Remember to lube your driveline, so you get no binding there either. Good luck..Mark
66 CJ-5
33-12.50 15 Wrangler MT
4" suspension, 2" shackle....still going UP!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.