Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys cant tell me exactly whats wrong with my prized possesion but maybe you can steer me in the right direction. I have a 92 6cyl stick wrangler and lately when I am driving and have to come to a stop light or so and I put it in neutral while the rpms and going back down it almost dies out on me. When I start the car ....it idles fine but I get this annoying problem every time I get to a stop. I can live with it for now until I go insane and just press on the gas so I bring the rpms back up and it idles fine. I have changed the spark plugs....and roter and I have also taken it to a mechanic and had the tps changed but it still hasnt resolved the problem. If anyone has had the same problem or any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After I bought my '84CJ7, the dang thing would not idle. When approaching stops, I had to shift into neutral, let off the clutch, foot on brake to stop other foot on gas to keep engine running. Soon as I had time, I yanked the carb (Carter) & rebuilt it, adjusting it to spec. It was full of junk.

Problem solved!

Hope this helps.

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but the jeep in fuel injected and idles fine excepted when the throtle is released from high rpms and drop back down to idle level

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry, I engaged my mouth without thinking. You're right, carb problems don't apply. I read your vehicle type & immediately thought of my problem & jumped to a conclusion.

I can't help on your fuel injection except suggest the standard things like plug wires, etc.

'80 CJ7
'84 CJ7
'76 Scout
NRA Life
Join the NRA!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you cleaned the throttle body? The normal build-up of grunge around the throttle blade needs to be cleaned every 15K or so. Use a tooth brush and some sensor safe carb spray to clean it. This may help, good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The MPI throttle body is the one that gets dirty, as there is no fuel going past the throttle blade to keep it clean!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If cleaning the throttle body and adding a bottle of injector cleaner doesn't do anything, have your battery tested. When my battery was crapping out I had the same problem (okay start idle, die at stoplight). A new battery fixed everything. I've heard that this is because the fuel injection is very sensitive to voltage. ('94 6cyl w/manual trans.)

Non compis mentis./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have your batt. out or wires off Batt or dead Battary.
On our Ford van if you lose power to the computer you have to
reteach the computer how to let the motor idle.If you don't it will
act just like your talking about. The deal was start motor no load
for solong then drive with foot on the brake for so long then foot on brake
trans in drive and air on for so long. Then the computer will teach itself
from there. This is what the ford shop told me when the van was new???????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I figuired out that for some reason the speedometer and my engine problem were somewhat related.....one day my speedometer just started working out of nowhere and the problem went away...weird right! By any chance do any of you gouys know to what the speedometer is connected incase it happens again that will be the first place to look. All I know is that it isnt a cable. THanx guys

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.