Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a '95 Jeep Wrangler, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get a conversion kit to make my headlights look like the 'real style'. I'm kinda sick of rectangle headlights, and want a 'real jeep' look.

Any help would be appreciated.

0|||||||0

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm pretty sure nobody makes one. I was considering having a kit made and then the '97s came out.

You can get a CJ (or TJ if you like it better) hood, grill, and fenders and put it on your YJ. You can usually get those parts for a couple hundred dollars, but then you would need to paint to match.

I'm just waiting for H8 to do it......it's just a matter of time.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Yes there is a kit made in Australia. I'll have to dig through my records to see if I can find any information about it. I've a picture some where of a YJ with the kit installed. I'll modify this post when I find it.

OK... here is all the information I have: Go HERE

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post. I'm assuming that the Hood fenders, and front end off of a CJ should bolt right up without a lot of hassle. I would rather just have a front grill though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm interested too LEVE. I've thought of doing the same thing for quite a while. I assume the Aussie kit is a direct replacement grill for the YJ with round headlight mounts instead of the stock rectangular ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
WHAT IS WRONG WITH SQUARE HEADLIGHTS?! Face it, they're cool! You guys are just jealous that every other Jeep has round ones. I have to agree that MOST of the best things in life are round. But the YJ is THE exception! As far as H8 converting to round, I swear to god I will drive to where ever he's living at currently and paint square's ALL OVER HIS YJ!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
LMAO, I surprised it took that many posts before one of the square supporters stood up and hollered /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I don't have a YJ, but I think they look alright with the square lights, dare to be different /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif, be prepared for the YJ guys to come out of the woodwork....

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, its not like YJs are the only Jeeps ever made with those rectangular lights:
Cherokees, Wagoneers, J10s, Commanches, (maybe some others) all had/have 'em.
So, instead of looking to fix the cosmetics and fit some silly notion of what is a Jeep, get a roll-cage or some other piece of hardware that really matters!

P.S. Jeff (H8) is right - square is more agressive - even my little stock (mostly) YJ looks pretty good from the front - see attached.

94 YJ [__] | | | | | | [__]
4.0L, 5 speed, 30x9.5 BFG ATs, K&N air filter, tow-hooks, still working...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you search the archives here, you will find that the CJ grille and hood can be mounted to a YJ - you don't need CJ fenders. I've seen this in person.

You will need a new radiator too.

Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fibertech has a part # for a round headlight version of the 87-95 Wrangler front end. In spite of my attepts to contact them, I cant get any info on the item. So, I dont know if it looks like the CJ or TJ. I dont know what the price is either(they sure make it easy to buy the damn thing).

Heres a link www.fibertechind.com/products/1pchood.html

Please keep us posted if you manage to find anything. Also, I remember seeing a one-peice TJ front end when the TJ's first came out. The company was running ads in the back of some of the 4X4 mags.....anyone have any info on these?

Bye the way, I like my square headlight Wrangler but, in case you havnt guessed, I wouldnt mind getting back to the round headlights.

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quadratec is a distributor for fibertech, right? These must be what I seen at the Fibertech website.

Holy sh*t thats a long way down!

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
I don't mind if people give a little crap about Jeep's with square headlights now and then. I don't really mind it. But that had better be the only thing that gets ragged on about YJ's!. I mean a Jeep IS A JEEP! And a YJ DEFINETLY IS A JEEP! If someone is going to tell me that a YJ is less of a Jeep because of it's square headlights, that's plain BS. Or maybe becuase it was built by Chrysler. Well, TJ's are made by Chrysler. And some CJ's are AMC. That's not the best company in the world. Sure YJ's aren't the most capable right from the factory. But CJ's weren't either. With their little AMC 20's out back and rust holes appearing after 2 months off the showroom floor. Sure the new TJ's have the option of a D44 out back. But they have there problems too! Like that big old dash! Or there endless luxury items. I've said this before and I will say it again. A JEEP IS A JEEP IS A JEEP IS A JEEP! That's it, right there!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif So kiss my square headlighted arse/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifEat, Sleep, JEEP/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44 w/Detroits and 4.56 soon to go in SOA

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
DARE TO BE SQUARE!!
Dont worry James, no cosmetic steps backwards, in store for my YJ now, or anytime in the future.
I love the classic "Bugeyed" looks of the CJ,(you know, sorta VW Bug, gone Butch), but I think the square lights of a YJ look much more aggressive.
Like it or not, the YJ is a now a part of Jeeps heritage, I would no more put square lights on a CJ as to do the opposite to a YJ. The only way I would change, either is, if there was a distanct, trail performance advantage, to either one,...which there isnt, so ergo,..no change.
Dont waste your money on such a stupid swap. If you really need to have that look, do what the CJ guys do. Buy an old CJ rust bucket, then swap to the superior YJ frame, tub, and engine, toss in the Chevy or Ford drive train of your choice, and keep the rusty old grill, and call it a CJ.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
hey jeff.... thats hitting pretty low....true...but low....my title clearly sez 1980 cj-7....and i dont have that UGLY yj dash either....

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
forever square... Jeepgod and elusive both thought that they were too cool for the square "MEN"...

JR
'94YJ,4cyl,33SX's,Locked F/R,NV4500,Soon to come:Wagoneer 44 Scout 44 & spools

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Hahahaha,..sorry Chris, I didnt mean to lash out. Its just a YJ defense mechanism. I can picture your CJ, weeping its big ol bugeyed eyes out, all you need are some big eyelashes for it, and a big puddle of tammy faye mascarra dripping down the fenders(Oh wait that would promote rust). I hope you and your CJ can forgive me. Hahaha

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
H8 will love this one. I have an old, i mean old, JC Whitney catolog laying around here somewhere that has a kit to convert a CJ grill to look like a YJ grill. If i can find the catolog i will scan the page and add it to this post.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
She's got big eyes, flat dash, square arse. That is better than square eyes, big arse and ugly dash!

Yes, a jeep is a jeep, and I enjoy looking into the square headlights, especially when there is a towstrap between them.

He, He, He...

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif"Totally Happy Off Road"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Let me chime in on this subject: KEEP THE SQUARE HEADLIGHTS!! Why follow the norm? You want a CJ? Buy/build one! YJ's look great! I'd spend that money on lockers, tires, rims, BEER, whatever before spending it on round headlights. No disrespect to the round-lighters, because they look good too but... WHY mess with perfection/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
Paulee

'94 YJ Pro-Comp Coil-over kit. 33's
....and a cranky T-case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts