Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks like this '87 Wrangler we bought is goig to be a community progect!I've completed the Nutter bypass and there is already an ignition upgrade.Idles a little rough,but biggest problem is this thing dies every time you come to a stop.Seems like when the brake is applied is when I have problems.Could have something to do with the vacuum the booster is using?Engine runs about 15" at idle.Have timing set at 8 at 1600 r.p.m.Also engine smooths out pretty good when I disconnect the float vent from cannister and also rarely stalls on test drive.Could something be wrong with the cannister?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It sounds like your brake booster could be bad.. or even your brake lights can believe it or not surge the eletrical system making the ignition flunk out.. Check the brake booster for leaks.. 1500 seems kinda high in idle??? But maybe I am wrong.

78 CJ7 "Issues"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.Sorry I should have written 15" of VACUUM at idle.Does this seem ok?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I just ran out and checked.and the vacuum dosen't budge.Any ideas why it runs better with flaot vent hose disconnected from cannister?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cannister looks ok.I haven't taken it out and looked at it real good.I've never heard of one going bad and don't know much about them,yet.Does the float bowl vent to cannister and then to fuel tank?Maybe I should check line to fuel tank also if this is true.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got done test driving again.I can drive this thing all over the nieghborhood at idle,but when I apply brakes engine tries to stall.Happens everytime.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its your brake booster.. but try this first.. find the fuse for the brake lights and pull the sucker out.. now turn it on and drive it.. hit the brakes if it dies.. either get the booster rebuilt or get another one..

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I just got back from vacations so he may have already fixed the problem. If not- here is how I got my Jeep to idle again (and again and again and again...) when it did exactly as he is describing (and often worse). Get a spray-can of carb cleaner and blast out your venturi bolts. What are those? Well, take the air-filer housing off the carb and look down the throat of it, you'll see what looks like the heads of two flat-head screws with holes in the center of them. Stick the little straw from the can into those holes and blast away. Then get back to us on it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts