Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had this 87yj for 3 weeks and trying to get the bugs out. plugs were clean-no oil. checked compression with 150 lbs all 6 cyls.ran a little rough at idle and hesitated on acceleration. put in new plugs and coil. set timing. carb was purchased by previuos owner 1 yr. i have visited www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm which is a wealth of info. i tried adjusting the carb idle but no success. sputters at idle. HAS A ROTTON EGG TYPE OF ODOR AT EXHAUST. i noticed the muffler was rotted so went to midas and replaced along with cat converter. i also replaced egr valve, o2 sensor and cto valve. i know this little 6 can stoke it but i havnt yet figured out how. she runs strong at full throttle. went to smog test today here in tucson and didnt pass. wasnt surprised. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THE STENCHY ODOR?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
your timing is probably off.. if you set it to book.. it can still be off due to the fact of the chain stretching.. you should also check the air fuel mixture.. and the oder is coming from the new cats.. they all do that.. last like a week or so..

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with elusive. Also make sure all parts of the ignition system are good, cap, rotor, wires etc. Make sure you have the right firing order
Reajust carb from the beginning. Two turns out and go from there. It is probably with the timing I had a similar problem awhile back
with my 304. Also check out your fuel system pump, filter. Check your carb linkages for free movement no binding.

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its the carters weak point... There is an article about
drilling out the venturi tubes b/c they get clogged
np matter how new the carb is. I got rid of mine and
went weber, then i threw a rod and swapped in a
401... Aint jeeps grand! \
Later
Dustin

JeepChild

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey man,
I know what you are going through. I also read your Carter choke problem post. In my response to that, I would consider getting a manual choke. Sure it’s another manual control for the Jeep, but you know where the choke is--besides its cheap, easy, and reliable.

For the other problem, do you know if problem has been like this since the other guy had the carb rebuilt? It took me months to figure out what was wrong with mine. The problem ended up being that the guy who had the Jeep last had it rebuilt wrong. The wrong gaskets were put in place, which blocked holes. This caused the Jeep to have a very sporadic idle (with carbon build-up), yet fine when on the road. My suggestion to you is getting either an upgrade or a rebuild on the Carter. Hope this helps and good luck.
chase

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got it guys! thanks for your help. the ELECTRIC choke didnt have a hot wire to it. someone cut it before i owned. when it wouldnt run on a cold start i noticed the south carolina salt air had rusted the choke linkage stuck in the wide open position-no choke at all. i freed up with wd40 and ran great on cold start. had one wire going to it but was not hot. took me a week to recall the cut wire that was the same guage red wire at the coil. installed new hot with in-line 20 amp fuse and runs great idle and accleration! i had to readjust the fast and curb idle as i had them way out due to the choke always on. what a simple thing to fix and took so long. well at least avoided the evil mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.