Off Roading Forums banner

Rotors and Bearings

463 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
G
I am in the process of repacking the bearings and replacing the rotors on my '80 CJ7, and learning as I go, so here are the questions:

1. Is it ok to replace just one of the 4 bearings if the others look ok? (the right inner bearing seal was broken, so I think the heat actually fused the bearing's race(?) to the spindle - had to torch that bearing off)

2. Any recommendations for cleaning the cooked grease from the spindle?

3. Should I disassemble the 4x4 hubs as well or just clean and grease them?

4. Do I grease between the bearing race and spindle when reinstalling, or just let that happen with time?

5. Recommendations on best brake pads?

Thanks for the help!

Tim

Dirt is good. Speed is good. Scabs are good. Life is good.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
1. just buy new bearings and keep those as spares
2,3..throw everything into a soak tank for a bit and use all new clean grease
4. put plenty of grease in there.. but do not pack it all full
5. any will do...ther are a great many ideas on which are best, but it seems to me that they all work well if the rest of the brake system is working well

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
make sure you pack the new bearings good. put a lump in your palm, and hold the bearing flat.. and work the grease in the bearing till it starts oozing out the other side, ie the top.
i would get all new bearings. .better safe than sorry... and i would also clean and regrease the hubs since they are off and apart.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
G
Brake cleaner should work well for removing the grease from the spindle. Put some grease in the area between the inner and outer bearing races (is this what you meant by "between the race and spindle"). It will help keep the grease that's in the bearings where it belongs - in the bearings.

G
I JUST FINISHED PUTTING A NEW HUB ON MY CJ7. I HAD TO DRIVE IT 10 MILES HOME AFTER THE BEARING SIEZED AND HAD TO GRIND OFF THE BEARING FROM THE SPINDLE. I GUESS THE HUB GOT SO HOT, IT EXPANDED AT THE BEARING RACE AND I COULD FREELY MOVE THE RACE WHEN IT WAS IN THE HUB. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU PUT THE NEW RACES IN THE HUB THEY FIT IN TIGHTLY OR YOU MAY NEED A NEW HUB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.