Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am going to get a roll cage for the CJ. I was looking at the MORE roll cage http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/SportCages/cage.htm
and was wondering what your guys thoughts were on it. I know the Smittybuilt front hoop are available, but those cost a small forutne to ship.
I was also going to get the frame tie in kit along with an additional spreader bar.
if I had access to a tubing bender, I would consider making one of my own, but since I don't, I have to buy the parts already done.
thanks for any input.
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: M.O.R.E. roll cage

I looked at the MORE kit when I did mine last summer. What I didn't like about them was that they go straight down to the floor without bending towards the pedals to give you some leg room to get in and out.

Rick
80 CJ7

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

The plus side of the straight design is that you gain foot room for the emergency brake. I went with the Kentrol kit from 4WDH. It was $100 plus shipping and I had a 10% discount coupon.
The Kentrol is a different design from the MORE. The Kentrol has a front hoop with the spreaders going from it to the original roll bar. The MORE goes from the floor up to the roof and back to the original bar with the spreader between these two peices.

Rick
80 CJ7

·
Registered
913 Posts

I would think that having the bar go straight to the floor would give it better stress resistence then a bend which would more then likely bend more under pressure(say, rolling back on your roof)..

=-Ben
94 ZJ - Work Commuter.
89 FSJ - 6-inch Rustys kit, XTerrains 33"S
87 YJ - 5" of lift33BFG's on the way. ARB snorkel. Borla Header.
48 CJ2A - DOA.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G

·
I purchased my SmittyBilt Front Hoop with two extra spreader bars in May of 2000 for $130.62. I ordered it from a local shop I usually don't deal with, but because I went through them, there was no shipping to pay for.

Check around and find someone who has connections and try to avoid the shipping cost.

As far as the kit, it was pretty sweet. Front hoop & floorplates fit perfectly after trimming the ends to length. I can still open my glovebox and operate the emergency brake. I bought some short window cranks for vent windows off a old Chevy at a swap meet (Carlisle, PA) so I can roll the windows up and down without opening the door.

Unfortunately, I had to cut 6 fishmouths without a tubing notcher to get the spreader bars to fit under my hardtop. (Spreader bars came fish-mouthed on one end only and have a slight bend in them. Bend was in the wrong place for the center bars so I had to cut both ends).

No Photos of install, but check out the attachment for the finished product, installed. (My dog likes it.)

JEEP...It's whats for dinner.

Attachments

G

·
I'd like to get something like the smittybuilt for the YJ. I have heard that you can make the ones for the CJ work.. what one do I need to get ot fit under ahard top??

JR

The road is calling, Ignore it!!
There is life after asphalt.

G

·
I think the standard kit is 2" OD Tubing. My kit came with 1.75" OD tubing to fit the hardtop/full-doors.

I just looked at their website

http://www.smittybiltinc.com

and they just show the 2" style (Type U or Type T).

My old instructions have a WP84 WP85 and WX86 at the top that may be part numbers. Hope this helps.

JEEP...It's whats for dinner.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Try your local shop, a lot of them don't pass the shipping fee on to you when you buy from them. I bought the Smitty front hoop and four extra spreaders (two used for sides)for 150 at a local shop, and added the rest myself. Because I run a hardtop in the winter, I flipped the spreaders around so they don't interfere with the top.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to a couple of them today to get prices. the one at 4wdh wants about $100 to ship it to california. Haven't found out what the shipping would be for the MORE kit yet.
I like the look of your cage.
do the spreader bars come long so you have a little bit to trim off to make it fit? or are they exactly the right length, and you just have to fishmouth them?
thanks
surveyboy

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
With the Smitty kits, you will need to trim the spreaders down to fit the application, mine were about six inches longer than needed. For fishmouthing (coping) the ends, I use my chop saw, do two 45 deg cuts, nip the ends off straight, and grind as necesary for a final fit.

pbm
There is a difference between being Educated and Intelligent!

G

·
I saw somewhere that they used a hole saw to fishmouth their tubing. Could save you from haveing to borrow a tubbing notcher.

I had a smitty kit that I was going to put in my old YJ, before I sold the Jeep. I bought it over the internet at 4WPW during one of their free shipping sales. It came freight to my business. I am now selling that kit to Casey.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ordeded the smittybuilt kit and two spreaders during lunch from a local shop for $140. This guy had never heard of a frame tie in kit. So I will have to get one of them. would any of those 4 or 6 point kits work, or are they more brand specific?
I was going to get a bunch of those gussets(sp?) for the spreader to hoop tie ins also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts