Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
roll cage prices--What\'s the deal??

Just got my new Summit ctalog in the mail yesterday and was looking at some dragracing rollcages. You can get a 10 POINT rollcage built for a drag racer for $239. A front 2 point simple hoop setup to tie into the YJ rollbars is the same price. I realize supply and demand sets prices, but isn't this a little rediculous? I don't have The ability to fabricate a cage on my own, so i was considering one of those that bolt right into the YJ cage(which I have in my CJ).

Dan 84 CJ-7,Weber,HEI. 95 ZJ,V8. http://netnow.micron.net/~wdohrn/

G

·
Re: roll cage prices--What\'s the deal??

I noticed that too..... Maybe we should alll talk to Summit, or their supplier, and have them make a cage for jeeps. Granted these are not bolt in kits, Welding, notching tubes, nad general fitting is required, but it's still a hell of a lot cheaper.
BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH

G

·

I agree $239 for a front hoop is a bit much. To bad you don't live in Phoenix. I'd slam a front hoop in you Jeep for under $200. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

You can easily build a very nice cage for under $200 and in less than a day. The only technical skills needed is the ability to make a strong weld,(a pretty weld is nice too but not mandatory). A grinder an old roll bar and a 20' stick of 2" .120 wall cold rolled steel. If you havent seen the picture before Ill attach again. This one cost me under $200, including the alluminum for the electrical access panels in the overhead console.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.

Attachments

G

·

H8Monday,
If you haven't read my profile allow me to explain, I own a small fab shop here in Phoenix, I build cages ect. on the side now and I'm hoping to do it as my sole income in a few months. Of course I can build one helluva a cage for $200 but I don't work for free/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. I think under $200 for a custom front bar installed is pretty good V.s. $239 for a bolt in mailorder one. At the 4wd shop I used to work at a guy bought a cage we had on display for $500 plus paid $150 for the truck freight! It was a regular 6 point cage for a CJ7/ YJ nothing special. I think my prices are very good and haven't recieved a complaint yet. I get steel for much less then the other small guys but don't have any overhead. So your absolutely right, steel's cheap, it's the tool and the skills you have to pay for. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

AZ,
I didnt mean to to come across, in any way suggesting that you offer wasnt a good deal. In fact untill I figured out a simplified way to build my own using used parts as a starting point. I really didnt favor the idea of building my own from scratch with no jigs, or even dimensions for that matter. But it was such a simple project with good results, although I didnt install the soft top to get my measurements for the top of the forward hoop and so I conservatively estimated the height and robbed myself of about 1 1/2" of preciouse headroom. I have built or helped in 7 of this type of roll cage project since my 1st one. Do you have any pics of your products? eventualy all of these extra roll bars are gonna get bought up and then its back to you manufacturers. And again your price for a Full Roll Cage is very very good and with a growing need for for full cages I would think youll do well. Show some pics of your wares. Im intersted in seeing your designs.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·

You're paying for liability insurance. Trust me, this has put a SERIOUS crimp in my plans...

That's why you buy a sports bar, not a roll cage...

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...

G

·

H8Monday,
Chalk that one up to staying up to late. You're post showed up in my email box and I thought it was directed torwards me. oops /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif And before I go broke the price I posted was for a front hoop not a full cage. I'm new to the racket and haven't quite got the hang of the whole pricing thing. I try beat everyone in town's prices, not to hard talk about markup sheesh, but I go by several factors when making up a price. 1) Do I like the person, substancial discount for being likeable/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 2) Does the person wheel a lot and have friends who do? 3) Do they mind putting a sticker on their rig? I try to only take jobs that will help bring in more work. I was just out tickering on my offroad barbeque, it's not turning out as good as I had hoped but I'll post pictures when it's done. My dad just got a digital camera I steal periodically so I'll be able to post pictures from now on. I've got to build a new bumper for my Taco tomorrow, after a failed attempt to tow a trailer to Houston, so I'll post some pictures of it. And I've got a 4Runner, and a M170 (Military CJ6) coming up so I'll post those too. The M170s going to be a pain in the butt, It's got cool storage bins in exactly the wrong places, plus gas tanks and exauhst to avoid, but it's a really cool rig. For a front hoop for someone who is friendly and wheels alot I'd probably do it $150, for a cage like the one I mentioned previously which the old shop I worked out charged $650, $350-$400. There are a million different ways to design a cage, halo bars, latatudal hoops, logitudal hoops, ect. and I'll do anything as long as I don't think it's unsafe. As for the liability thing I've got a disclaimer, and I never use the dirty "r" word. I know I'm still at risk but insurance is the biggest scam going and I'm to poor for it. I take pride in everything I do and hopefully quality workmanship will be enough. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

G

·

H8Monday,

Can you go into more detail about your cage?

I have an 87 YJ cage which will be going into my YJ tub (which is on a CJ) and I have the old CJ (81) roll bar as well. From the pic you attached it looked like there are some bends in the front hoop that don't look like my CJ's main hoop.

I'm confused.

Thanks
Mark F

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Here is another angle.
The rear hoop is just is just a roll bar from a 94. The front hoop is my stock 89 hoop with the bottom mounting bracket cut off right where it starts to bend at the lower legs. Then I sleeved and attached a new extension, about 14" long with a new 5" x 6"(3/8") flat mounting plate(angled to fit the angle of the hoop) at the bottom. No complex bends are needed on the legs of the front hoop, if you position it correctly. There is still plenty of room to remove the windshield bolts and access the speaker area. It is kinda tight at the 1/2 door, door handle, I needed to cut off and file smooth about a 1/4" of the plastic handle. The diagonal bars are cut off and ground smooth, then I added 4 spreader bars,(straight) between the front and rear hoop. You can gain a little more head room at this point by having them bent at 20 deg for the 1st 6", which is how Ive done the fabrication on the last few that Ive helped with. The 1st one I wanted to do without any outside manufacturing assistance. With the design on my 89 I then welded a 1/4" flat plate(1ft x 3 ft) on top of the 2 center spreaders and welded a contiues bead all the way around (both sides, and front and rear hoop), and then used silicone on the underside as a sealant to protect the electrical components housed in the center console. I then ran an elctrical loom up through the bars(make sure you are happy with the design and have no need to do any further welding,before you roon your wire loom). The under side of the console is just (3) 1ft x 1ft 1/4" pieces of aluminum(brushed with a wire brush)drilled and tapped to be bolted up into the spreader bars, I used 4 evenly spaced stainless hex head bolts on each side of each panel. this allows you to access diiferent sections of the center console for installation of new swithes or fuse replacement. The stock side bar spreaders that are in the photo are removed once I know the soft top wont be used for a while(they help keep the perfect tension when the soft top is on),once the stock bars are removed, its just one bolt on each side and down comes the windshield. Ill try to get more pics of the lower portion and its mounts. The mounts by the way are through bolted through the floor board using different sized, upper and lower plates(so they dont coockie cutter the floor of the tub under pressure), and then should be supported from below using outriggers to the frame, use rubber body bushings between the under side plate and the outrigger to prevent overstressing the body or frame. You should actualy do the same at the factory mounts also. The main construction of the cage took me about 8 hrs, but then more hours are needed to complete all of the wiring, and outrigger work. For paint I sanded and primed with Plasti-Kote "Body Shop Primer"(Pep Boys $3.99) Its a laquer(not enamel) and holds up well, then a light coat of that Duplicolor spray on bed liner, followed by Plasti-Kote laquer based color of your choice. The bed liner paint bonds great to the primer and the color bonds great to the liner. The look is just like a powder coat.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Finally got to it. Some of you were asking for more detailed pictures of my home built, 89 YJ roll cage project. Ill have to do it on a few posts since I dont have a web site yet. Workin and wheelin are getting in the way of its construction.
The 1 st pic is of the overall construction.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Clearance at the dash pad, there is still plenty of room at E brake foot pedal, and hand release, and access to the windshield bolts.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

Extension of the vertical legs of the forward hoop. The stock hoop was cut off right where the bends begin for the original mounting plates behind the seats. Note the clearance to access the windshield bolts and speakers. The scuff marks on the paint are where the door barely rubs. The tube closest to us ,is also the tube I ran the wiring loom through to provide power to the overhead console, but there is also a stainless wire pull string on the other side, and also going to the rear on both sides, the right side uses a junction box with a 6 wire loom located at the rear corner of the fender. I would recomend that you drill holes and insert metal pull strings through all of the major connections while your constructing. Then if you need them in the future they are already there, it would be a nightmare later.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

The only clearance problem are shown here at the 1/2 door handles I had to cut off about 1/2" so that it doesnt hit the vertical tubes. If you move it more forward then it starts to cramp the E brake access. Here is where a few compound bends would be helpfull, but like I stated I was trying to build this one with no outside help. Grinder, Welder, Drill, Wrenches, and Paint. Period, nice and simple. What you see is what you get.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

This is the base plate and extension of the down tube, I sleeved and welded the joint, but I didnt install my soft top to get my final measurements. Yeah I got lazy, I was at the job site building this thing and the top was across town(2 minutes away)at my apartment. It was a mistake though, because I conservatively estimated the final measurement and cheated myself out of a little more than an inch. of headroom.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

After I installed the base plates with disimilar size plates, so that you dont get the cookie cutter affect if(when in some peoples case) the cage is ever really needed. I eventually added outriggers to the frame. There are a few ways to do the final mounting to the frame, depending whether you are from the "Attach Firmly Camp", or the, "Seperate and Isolate with Bushings Camp". If you get this far Im sure youll figure out how you want to make the fial connection.
Now I turned to the Overhead console and CB Rack. Above the console is a 1/4 steel plate welded and sealed from below. The console is (3) 12" x 12" aluminum panels (1/4"). I used a wire wheel on the drill to give it a brushed affect so i wouldnt have to keep it polished. They were patterned and drilled together for uniformity then transfered to the spreader bars and drilled and tapped for 1/4 20 stainless allen head screws. In between the 2 power ports is a keyed battery disconnect to all of the switched power, and a green LED to verify if power is on, this prevents unwanted tampering of your off road lights and melting down your covers. The power to the 11 meter radio is right where its needed, for quick connect/disconnect feature. I routed the coax outside of the roll cage tubing to avoid possible inductive interference from the power wires on the other side. The swithes power 2 sets of frwrd lights,1 set of rearward lights and forward and rearward fender mounted Rock lights. All of the lights are controoled by relays in the engine compartment so only low amp power is needed overhead except for the 2 power ports and the CB(the linear amp is below the dash). An overhead dome light is also added for convenience. The panels can be removed individualy to access different sub systems.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

A final shot of the overhead console.
The console itself probably took over 8 hours,but you can do some of the assembly just sitting around watching TV if you want to.
The Cage took one day with my girlfreind helping out.
Cost was not bad at all. Under $200 with the console.
Sorry for dragging this along,I hope this helps anyone wanting to upgrade for safety.
I really need a Web Page,but Im struggeling to figure out the whole design thing, using some cheap program, Jeepchick brought home.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

Attachments

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

I appreciate the info on the cage. Been thinking of how to get away cheaply for one onthe Scrambler, but still use the hard top. I like the setup, very ingenious.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

I use a Hobart 135 Handler Mig.
On this particular project I did not use gas, just .035 flux core.
I did take extra care though when preparing all of my joints(the sleeve joint at the leg extensions, and the fish mouths at the cross bars), to bevel the metal at the joints and started with a good 1/8" gap so that I could get penetration at the inner portion of the tubing, and build it up from there. I wouldnt use my expertise though on welding, I can make a decent looking weld, but Im no expert by any stretch. Stick welding, or at least a 220 V mig would be better Im sure, but the Hobart gets good penetration on high,if your not running it on 300 ft of cord. Im mostly just trying to give the concept for a cheap sturdy cage, Im sure we,ll see plenty of improvements in construction and innovations from there.

Jeff
89 Wrangler

1 - 20 of 25 Posts