Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i know it isn't acceptable for the roll cage...I've purchased a front cage kit to add to my CJ5. But here's my question. I'm going to build new Nerf bars when I do the cage, and after reading all the various posts on them, I was planning on using heavy wall pipe for the nerf bars. As I look at my plans, it seems like a logical thing to do for a frame tie in would be to run a leg up from the nerf bars, to a plate below the body, sandwiching a piece of rubber and the fiberglass body between the rollbar foot and the tie in...So here's my question. My current pipe nerf bars have been very durable, and I've beat them pretty hard. Is it ok to use pipe for my frame tie in, though? It would only be about a 12" span from the frame out to the rollbar...Any problems with that? I don't have a source for tubing around here at all...and I can't forsee any problems with using pipe in any kind of realistic roll that I'd expect the cage to hold up to. Once again, not using pipe for the cage...just wondering about the nerfbars/tie in.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Hey FarmJeeper! I'm curious, why Nerf bars as opposed to... Oh say a good home made Rocker Panel protector? I like the "cool" factor of Nerf bars (and I've got a used set in the garage that'll never touch the Jeep) but they hang up on everything and dent up the rocker when they bend. I haven't seen those nasty habits with the good ol' 4"X4" rocker protection, espically if tied into the frame.

On the plus side, I will admit it's hard to turn angle iron into an air tank for on-board air.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It should work fine. It would just be heavier than the tubing, but strength wouldn't be a problem. imho

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, FarmJeep has (courtesy of the previous owner)...fenderwell headers. I was thinking that having the nerf bars would aide in protecting the headers...clearance under the driver's seat isn't going to be improved through the use of our much vaunted angle iron protectors...but maybe I'll end up using both...together? I dunno. We'll see, the important part is that I've gotten a green light on the tie ins.

FarmJeep

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts