Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full cage and seat belts saved our lifes!
We were on a run called "Radiator Hill" in Liberty (outside of Cle Elum) this Saturday.
The first two rigs made it up the three part hill, the next three didn't, we ended up making it up 3/4 of the first hill when we caught a rock band and went up and over. We rolled three and a half times end over end down the hill, landing on the cage. with only superficial scrapes.
here are some pics.
This is from the start to where the Jeep eneded up, Jim (passenger) is under the tree that stopped us.

This is from that tree to where the roll started, Jim in blue

This is the last shot of the Jeep as it was

This is Jim running from the Jeep, I am still belted in

This is the tree that stopped us

Our view

This is how hight the front drivers side front tire hit

Pulling it off the tree

Me smiling because I still am around to do it

Jeep damage

Frame is bent, buggy leaf broke, all corners bent, shock mounts ripped from frame, winshiled frame gone, cowl pushed back 3 inches, floors buckled up to the pedals, but we got it pulled back out and actually drove back to camp.
I encourage anyone that is doing any serious wheeling to consider installing a full cage and wearing seatbelts.
I also want to thank Todd, Lee, Jesse, Bo, Jeff and Charlene (who we had just met that day) Crystal (my wife) Jim, Terry, Micahel, Jammie, Gary and Nolan for all ther help in making this an easier experience than it could have been.

pbm

74 CJ5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,MORE SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
Good to hear you are alright. The was a nasty roll, alot of damage and the ground looks half way soft (not rock). Did you weld the cage yourself and was it tied to the frame? Good luck with the repairs.

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cj7jeep-
Yes I did the cage myself. The front is Smitty hoop with two extra spreaders, then bar across dash, bars down side, bars across the side ones for seatmounts, harnesses attached to cage, and it is tied to the frame.
After looking at allthe welds and the cage itself there doesn't seem to be any damage (other than scratches).

pbm

74 CJ5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,locked f&r,SOA,MORE SRS buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.

· Registered
1,421 Posts
glad you and your passengers are all ok, guess I better upgrade the roll cage next...dadgum jeeps never gonne get outta the garage /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

· Registered
339 Posts
Sorry to see that. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif
Glad to hear everyone made it out with only minor scrapes.
That looks (as H8 would say it) like a HARD rollover.
Best of luck in getting the '5 back together and back on another trail.

RocknCJ /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

for those who would trade a little freedom,
for a little security
...will soon find they have neither. /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

· Registered
4,438 Posts
WOW!!, what a wild ride, that must have been. Looks like, you did a good job, on the cage install.
You sure dont have to convince me about the, importance of roll cage. I have been trying to preach the importance of a roll cage to anyone who will listen for years.
In fact I no longer, help freinds with suspension or performance modifications to their rigs, unless they let me help them install a roll cage system beforehand.
Thanks for sharing your pics, and story, hopefully it will help drive home tyhe importance, to anyone, who still thinks, lockers, or bigger tires is more important than the, ability to live through a roll. Im sure your freind in the passenger seat, appreciates your dedication to protecting the souls on board.
Know you have a great story to tell, and a little of wrenching ahead of you.
Glad your OK.

Jeff
89 YJ
Wow, you can get a nice tan on your arms, from welding with no shirt on.

G

·
i was the pass in that jeep what a hell of a ride good cage and seats and harness setup i just got done doing a in cab cage& seats & harness just before this last run great investment

80toy welded 5.29 6.5 lift 22r 5 sp want dual t cases cage in the mail tsl 33,s 100qt cooler & big ass rotweiler in bed

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim, here's the extent of your hand injuries for all to see. (right hand fingers)

Jim is standing on the frame of the Jeep to reach this spot.
pbm

Attachments

· Registered
7,289 Posts
Glad to see everybodys OK. Saftey is definatly #1. The cage still looks GREAT./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Even thogh it does look kinda nasty...........the body doesnt look too bad for the amount of rollovers.
Great post. Best way I know to show the reasons for saftey.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"

· Registered
4,183 Posts
I will second a full cage or even the YJ/TJ style cages are a good idea. I rolled a 95YJ going 40-50mph on a gravel farm road. My dad and I had our seat belts on and walked away from the roll only injuries were seat belt brusies, sore necks and a very minor cut on my dad's hand (probably from climbing out of the jeep). I would just keep your jeep the way it is and only fix the parts that effect the function of the jeep and maybe the windshield frame and any anything else to keep it street legal if that's an issue. Then you won't have to worry about your body any more and nobody would ever want to steel it.
Barrelroll (they don't call me that for nothing)

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long

G

·
I feel like an idiot considering my seatbelts dont work and my roll cage is just tied into the fiberglass ( stock ) and not very sturdy. I will order those belts tomarrow. If i were to do racing harnesses, where should I tie them into on a scrambler half cab?

'85 Scrambler

· Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A lot of the four and five point kits will come with the tabs so they can be mounted to stock locations. If there isn't a stock location to do it, you typically will want the rear portion mounted at shoulder level with 1-2" up or down. For a vehicle that has more room behind the seats, you usually will run them back at about 45 degrees. If all else fails, you can mount them right behind the seat on the floor,but you want to try to get pivot (where the belt goes from up to over and down to buckle)above your shoulders, so your body isn't compressed in a roll over. Like newer cars are anchor at the bottom, but are pivoted above your shoulders.

pbm

G

·
I'm glad to hear y'all are okay. Just think how easily this could have been another "lost another friend wheelin'" post, b/c someone wasn't wearing their seatbelt.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

· Registered
1,165 Posts
You just gave me the reason to complete grinding out all my welds and redoing them after the gas delivery system on my welder failed. I want to make sure my welds will survive something like that.

Glad to see everyone made it relatively OK!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.