Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roll Bar for CJ\'s Questions.

I want to build a Roll Cage for my CJ 7. I have to traditional roll bar that angels down towards the back that would give no protection if I had passengers. I want to use the roll bar off an YJ or something that is square like and then get some kind of kit or build my own front section. Would it be easier just to build the entire thing? If so, can you rent pipe benders anywhere? If I do use the YJ roll bar will my hard top still fit? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

G

·
Re: Roll Bar for CJ\'s Questions.

A good option that many people take is the '91 factory roll bar and a front hoop kit. The '91 and after factory roll bar can be found in wrecked YJ's for the cheapest, although you might be able to find some that people have discarded for a custom built full cage. What you pay, depends on the area that you are shopping in, and availability. I found one for $400, but they can be found much cheaper. A Smittybuilt front cage kit for a CJ can easily be adapted for a YJ factory roll cage(it does require some cutting and welding). I believe that someone in the New England rock crawling club used this option for a YJ(almost the same tub design as a CJ7, just a few minor diferences, but dementionally almost identical). Shop around for the YJ part, you will get wildly varring prices. Try to find one locally in a yard to avoid shipping charges($). For the front kit(Smittbuilt or Kentrol) you can look at 4WPW or another online place for one of thier free shipping deals(it will have to go freight, which is expensive, so save money by waiting for one of these sales). Or find a local shop that can buy from a distributer and avoid shipping that way.

You can add some extra spreaders for the front. You can also add an extra bar for the rear to tie the two together. But those are usually add ons.

Jason

----------------
OIIIIIIIO'81 Scrambler & '88 Grand Waggie
I'm stuck in the '80's!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Re: Roll Bar for CJ\'s Questions.

This can certainly be done. I have about $350 in my whole cage. $150 for late model YJ bar from wreching yard (make sure to get the side spreaders). $130 for Smittybuilt front hoop kit and 4 total spreaders. $50 for gussets, and additional tubing for Dash bar, bars along door-sills, and spreader between rear hoops.

There is no extra cutting/fabbing necessary when using a YJ bar. A note though there are 4 different models of Smittybuilt hoops for CJ's, they are padded/non-padded dash, and hard/soft top. The differences are that the hard top is 1.75" tube, the soft is 2" tube. The padded dash version has an extra bend to come out/over the padded dash. The non-padded dash version comes straight up from floor and has a SINGLE bend and follows windshield line exactly. Unless you are very attached to your padded dash, I would HIGHLY recommend the NON-PADDED DASH VERSION. It looks much cleaner and is not as in the way.

If you do rent a bender, get a TUBE bender, not a PIPE bender. There is a difference. With the setup mentioned above, I only had to use a bender on 2 things: the rear spreader (it's got angled ends so it looks cool) and the grab handles (optional) up front.

'83 CJ-7 nothing original but the tub and axle tubes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts