Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used the Rockstomper tire carrier hinge? I just recieved mine and I'm wondering if I need to take it apart to weld on it with a stick welder. I'm worried about it distorting and screwing up the bearings. So, my question is did you take it apart when you welded onto it?

Rick
80 CJ7

G

·
Don't have one and haven't seen one, but I'd take it apart if it's doable just to protect the grease and bearings. If not do it in small hits so it doesn't get to hot.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Definetly take it apart. I am not familiar with that hinge, but if it has bearings in it you run the risk of cooking the grease and destroying the bearings.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky. Not enjoying our continued lack of snow!

G

·
I have one although I have not welded on it yet. I plan to take it apart to weld on it. If you remome the grease cap on the top there will be a nut on the top. Remove the nut and the works will come apart in your hands except the bearing and seal on the bottom. I think you can reach in there (from the top) with a punch and drive out the bearing race and the rest. Good luck. Also, they gave me some advice on the spindle--make sure to sleve the spindle through the bumber. I will be stronger in the long run. I wish I could post a picture of my bumper but I am still unable. Rick

'98 TJ Sport-becoming more modified & heavier all the time.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rick - Thanks for the tip on sleeving the spindle. I never thought about doing that but I guess it makes sense.

I have all the steel for the project, so I'll be doing it soon. I'll take pictures and post when I'm done. Thanks for the replys.

Rick
80 CJ7

G

·
I am soon to build a rear tire carrier and was wondering were i could find a picture of the hinge? If you could please drop me a e-mail with a web site about the hinge. By the way I'd take it apart to weld it up....
Thanks Goose

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
ihave one. when it arrived, it didnt have any grease in it so i just welded it up. it works good. I did use a mig welder though..
if i had to do it again, id get the same hinge again.. its a lot smoother operating than my currie carrier

~~Elusive~~
everything good in life is round, breasts, halos, and headlights
http://www.jeepgod.net

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the web page. If you do order one, they really prefer that you call them.
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/pieces/hinge.htm

I took mine apart last night and it also didn't have any grease in it. I'll leave it apart to do the welding. Hey elusive, did you sleeve the spindle when you welded it to the bumper?

Rick
80 CJ7

G

·
Hey Rick,
Thanks for the link I'll check it out now. I have an idea on the style of a carrier but have been delayed because I haven't found a hinge.
Thanks again
Goose

82CJ5 Laredo I6 258 T18 D300 (w 4 t0 1) D44 rear D30 front 4.27 gears (ARB both ends)and other home modifications

1 - 11 of 11 Posts