Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
I’m guessing that you are talking Renegade or other factory package with the aluminum rocker covers.

Yes, once you get the rocker cover off, the “studs” as you called them are removable. They don’t thread into the rocker, they are bolts with large square heads about ¾” x 1 and about 1/8” thick. Once you get the rockers off, they just slide out the end. They just fit into grooves in the back of the rocker cover.

I have never found any replacements but I was able to cut and grind the old shank out, drill and tap the heads and put new studs in them.

CAUTION
DO NOT PUT A LOT OF TWIST ON THE NUT, YOU WILL CAUSE THE BOLT HEAD TO PUSH A DIMPLE OUT INTO THE EDGE OF THE ROCKER COVER.

If it don’t come off fairly easily, just cut the nut off with a grinder.

·
Official Curmudgeon
4,707 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
The "studs" are more like a piece of round bar with a stud in it and a 1/8" flat at the bottom to slide in the channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, except the one on the front where the sheet metal bulges out at the bottom of the front fender ahead of the fender/tub seam. It doesn't have the round spacer.

I don't think you can get them out of the channel until you get the rocker cover off. Pretty easy to drill and tap (except the one I broke the tap off in, last one too). Put 'em back with brass nuts.

The cover looks like stainless trim but it is clear-coated aluminum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.