Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is changing the ring and pinion a job a guy can do at home...or does it require a bunch of special tools...is it one of those jobs where a guy is better off taking it to someone who has done it before?

What about ARB lockers and one piece axles...special tools? degree of difficulty?

Thanks ahead of time

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
JK
78CJ5

G

·
Ring and pinion insallation isn't all that difficult. You will need to be meticulous. To put it bluntly the best diff guys are really anal, total perfectionist kind of guys. You will need a dial indicator, gear marking compound, and a torque wrench that reads inch lbs. The rest can be done with common tools. You will also need a good manual. Most don't cover R&P installation so you'll have to hunt for one. Check your library. They usually have good manuals and you can copy the pages you need. I could copy and send you some if you can't find anything. I have D-30, D-44, D-60, and AMC-20. Your first R&P is going to be a major pain in the a$$. DON'T BE LIKE ME! I ruined a R&P set my first time, it was "close enough" said I. WRONG! Thankfully it was my own vehicle not a customers. BTW, most mechanics have never done one either. If you decide to pay to have it done go to a shop that does R&P swaps regularly.

I've never done an ARB but from the write ups I've seen the only difference is drilling and tapping the case and routing the air line. Shouldn't be any more difficult than a standard diff set up.

Most one peice axle kits install easily, no special tools required.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What i did was, I alway had a couple of [email protected] axle in the yard and on rainy days I go out in the shed and practice on these. its not really that hard it just like a jigsaw puzzle. be by yourself, quiet and a non lack of time. the mechanics had to learn somehow.

brownbagg

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses...I will keep the board posted on how it all goes.

JK
78CJ5

G

·
Utah, can you give a source for the service manuals for the D30, etc.? I would be interested in trying a r&p change. I've heard a few people talk about preloading, etc. Is this explained in the service manuals?

G

·
Just a couple other bits of advice. You will also need a vice with soft jaws to hold the carrier to get those ring gear bolts off, and a torque wrench that reads in ft.lbs. to put them and the carrier bearing caps back on (DON'T mix up the caps!). Also, if you are replacing the carrier you will need access to a bearing press, don't try to reuse the old ones, you usually destroy them getting them off. Like the other posts said, take your time, close is not close enough! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Some of the best directions I have seen are the ones that Randy's Ring & Pinion includes with his instalation kits for gear installs.

I have set up 3 different Toyota 3rd members so far. They are slightly different that say a D44 or 30, but it is not that hard at all...

It is just TIME CONSUMING and TEDIOUS/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Take your time, and read the directions. Also, check Randy's web site for more info on how to set one up.

Don't be scared, like someone else said - mechanics had to learn the same way you will have to learn/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif so get to it!

Seriously, so what if you burn one set up - for the cost of paying someone else to install it, you can try again, and get it right. Not only that, but you have gained an invaluable skill that will save you money int he long run - and that is priceless and worth the effort.

David
Davids 4x4 Page

G

·
I've got a Jeep service manual that covers all Jeep products. I think mine is a 1980. It covers Dana axles and the AMC 20. Yes bearing preload is covered. Forgot to mention, a bearing remover and a puller are also needed. You might be able to do it without, but it would be more difficult. I personally use brass pipe to drive the bearings on. I have also used heavy wall copper, but it is only good for one or two R&P swaps. I don't know what the sizes are, I just rumage around in the milk crate until I find a size that fits.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is the title of your service manual? I might be able to get it from Rosser or someone. Sounds like what I need for r&p, but also a good manual to have handy. I dont know if I have already mentioned it, but I do have an AMC20.

JK
78CJ5 258

G

·
The hardest part on the AMC 20 is getting the pinion gear out of the diff. If you don't have an air hammer, then use a brass hammer...the heavier, the better and just beat the hell out of it. Like the other guys said, close is not close enough. As it is, I have to redo mine. I got the pinion depth a little short. Make sure you save the spacer for the pinion gear, you will need it....experience talking here.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i got my piunion out a little differently... i picked up the whole axle and slammed the pinion down on a block of wood...3-4 times and it was out...i didn't re-use the gears either...i had to redo my gears about 6 times the first time, but they seem to work good!

G

·
My manual is titled Jeep-1980 Technical Service Manual it was produced by Jeep. I don't know if they are still available. You should be able to find something though. If not, let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.