Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any such thing as a restoration guide for CJ-7s? I'm gonna try my hand at restoring my '78, and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Originals or reprints of the shop and parts manuals are available. Get creative with your favorite search engine. Haynes manuals have good wiring diagrams. Chiltons are vague and have some conflicting info. Get any and all sources of info. Read. If you want to restore to original, great. Try to make better. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Dear Fly, Yes, there are lots of Jeep books out there. You will NOT want to restore your Jeep to absolute stock, however. Like who would want to freeze when they could have upgraded the heater motor? So you see, there are things to DO, and there are things that must be DONE. Over the past year and a half I have collected a TON of stuf off web sites that is useful as we rebuild our '79 CJ. Some of the stuff is upgrading and some is dealing with pesky repair ops. My favorite for the electrical is Haynes....no question about it. You can get factory repro manuals from Leon Rosser Jeep in Bessemer Alabama. Oh, and one more thing.....get money.....lots of it....whatever you think it will cost, triple that. Whatever time you figure it will take.....double that/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've got some factory service manuals on the way, and I've bookmarked about 37 websites already. This is going to be an adventure. I can tell already.

Jim

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif This moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gifbunch is really laughing over here.....they KNOW what it is going to be like. Just pay attention and pirate every good idea that you can find. Oh....and one more thing....get a good wire welder/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It is funny about the Jeep name. It adds about 30% more money to the cost of the parts needed for repair. any other part for another vehicle will be cheaper go figure. And go figure that the resale of a jeep is very low. Enjoy the Jeep it will get in your blood and probably take alot of your also. Do send pictures when you get finished.
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "CAloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I have owned a slew of grinders, and finally got smart and bought a 5" as a companion to the 7-1/2" or whatever the full-size ones are.....the 5" used the cast-off wheels from the big ones since the thread was 5/8-11 just like the big ones. I NEVER bought a wheel for the 5". We had zillions of wheels that were too small for the big guys, and so did every other shop. I just gathered them up everywhere I went/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
699 Posts
One of these days, one of these days I will have one of the big grinders. I always stare at them when I go into sears or wherever.
Don't worry about not being any wheels, I've bought enough cutting,grinding and wire brushes to keep the manufacters in business on this project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.