Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 77 CJ5 with Dana 20 Tcase and Dana 30 front axle has what appear to be international hubs on the front axle. They are identical to old Warn Premium hubs. There are the allen screws that hold the outer part of the hub on, and then there are six bolts that hold the hub to the axle. These bolts like to work loose, and I am considering replacing them with studs. Does anyone know what size/how long of studs to use? What about using some nylock nuts to really keep them tight? And what do you think...Grade 5 or hard studs? I was thinking that hard studs would be more resistant to shearing than regular studs would. I may just buy a few hard bolts and cut the heads off of them. Oh, and one more question...how do you tighten the actual studs into their holes? How do you hold them to turn them without screwing up the threads?

Dean

1977 CJ5, 304 V-8, Welding Improvements Galore!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WHEN I HAD THOSE KINDA HUBS, I WENT TO THE LOCAL PARTS STORE AND BOUGHT SOME EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUDS. THEY WERE THE RIGHT THREAD FOR THE HUB AND THE OTHER END WAS FINE THREAD. I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM COMING LOOSE AGAIN.AS FAR AS USING GRADE 5 OR 8 BOLTS, THEY STILL BREAK AND STILL COME LOOSE.THEY ARE A LOT HARDER TO DRILL OUT ALSO, I WOULD GO WITH THE STUDS AND FORGET IT!!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Dear Farm, When a bolted hub or a bolted axle flange on a full-floater will not stay tight, it is ususally because there is some movement due to bent components, or too much overhung weight. On our farm (ranch) in CA we had several trucks which had this problem; the rear end housings were slightly bent most likely from overloading; and we could never keep cap screws tight. Once I put studs in; and threaded them ALL THE WAY DOWN till they bottomed hard; then used good nuts and locks, we were OK. On the Fords, they even had little split cones which went in tapered holes in the axle flange...THEN lockwashers and nuts. Them guys NEVER came loose./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif You can tighten studs by locking two nuts together, or just grabbing them in an area which will not thread into anything with vise grips. Remember, grade five is anti-stretch...pretty good anti-shear. Grade eight is super anti-shear. This sounds like a grade 8 job to me?/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.