Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to replace several of the Grade 8 bolts on my CJ, like the ones that hold the shackle brackets to the frame and the steering box.

What type of bolt should I use? I believe stainless is weaker than grade 8, but I don't want it to rust, zinc coated, paint them, ??????

Lastly, any recommendations on where to purchase the bolts.

As always, thanks in advance for any information.

rick

· Registered
279 Posts
You should be able to find grade 8 bolts from your local hardware store... I have a Grainger account and use them for specialty items occaisonally. Im not one to ask about rust proofing though...

· Registered
165 Posts
Rick,

Grade 8 zinc plated (gold in color) are corosion resistant out of the box. I find that the local Ace Hardware is the best place for Grade 8's. You are correct that stainless is not as strong here is a link to a good writeup of the grades and markings. If you don't have an Ace hardware or other Mom and Pop Hardware store try boltdepot.com. You can mail order any size grade 8 from them.

· Registered
334 Posts
Lowes... Home Depot.... not a wide selection but reasonable. See if you have a specialty fastener supply shop locally, more expensive but much wider selection... just be very specific what your specs are.

· Registered
2,674 Posts
I like to use antiseize on them with the wishful thinking that this will aid in dissassembly some day. There are corrosion barrier sprays you can apply to the threads as well that are based on waxes. Lloyds makes a spray product, but I don't know if you can get it in the states. I find that grade 8 bolts are less prone to corrossion from road salt. I'm not sure why, but they don't seem to get that thick fuzzy red coating that the zinc plated grade 5 bolts do. You know, that thread jamming rust that quickly seizes the nut on.

My rear most shackle hanger bolt spun the nut when I tried to remove them to get rid of an old trailer hitch. I ended up making a new crossmember with holes for access (to install a nut and washer) and hole plugs. Makes it easy to stick a hose in and flush the mud out of the frame as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.