Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking aloud, but how big of tires can you fit with the Bushwacker cutouts on a IFS Chevy/GMC 3/4 or 1 ton truck? I'm thinking of a possible future work/fun truck for Michigan. Something for the wife to drive, to haul stuff with, and be able to go romp around in the mud with.
1: Bigger tires and no lift means short fiance/wife isn't complaining about heels, falling, ice, blah blah etc etc.
2: Low center of gravity good for Michigan roads during winter.
3: Cheaper, no costly lift, diesel 3/4 ton with 5 speed stick hopefully already has 4.10's, may not need to regear.
4: Low increase in height means bed is still really useable and you could tow easier than with a suspension lift plus bigger tires, not over a foot higher in the air.
5: IFS kept at stock angles, and with the 9.25" 8 lug IFS, it would be more than up to 35's or 36's. Still have some travel and decent ride.

Just a thought, those kinds of trucks are relatively common at home. Would make a good starting vehicle, and the close to 20mpg diesel would help too.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
229 Posts
Re: 3/4 ton IFS + Bushwacker cut outs = how big tires?

Hey AJM, did you make the move to Michigan yet?

I think you can get 33s on with the cut outs, depending on the wheel spacing, my cousin was running 33s with trimmed fenders on a Z-71. He is running 31 x 12.00 x 15 Boggers now and loves them, and they clear even though they are off set a lot.

Jeff427

http://www.off-road.ws

· Registered
229 Posts

AJM,
I don't know if you remember me, but I put your Blazer up on the Readers Rigs page on the Mud Dog Off Road site, which is in the process of being relocated. I will get you the new address as soon as I get it figured out. I was just wondering if I should look you up here in Michigan sometime, or are you still out in Cali? Later.

Jeff427

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Jeff, still in SoCal. Get out of the Marines October 3rd, and should be in Middleville by October 5th or 6th. Gotta do some situating, getting an apartment and a job and all, and maybe start talking to Western Michigan University. I will end up down near Battle Creek/Portage/Kalamazoo, but wheeling is wheeling and I am willing to drive for it.

There's actually an 88-90 or so Chevy IFS 4x4 rolling around on base with the fender cutouts and about 33's. It looks to me like he could fit bigger tires, maybe 35's. What do you think if I threw on a 1" ORD body lift? My dream would be 36x12.5R16 Super Swampers, but dunno if that is going to happen without a suspension lift or body lift taller than 1".

Send me that link when you get the site up. Hopefully you can have pictures of my truck in some mud eventually./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
6,042 Posts

a friend of mine has a '94 2500 4x4 EC LWB and he's running 305s with no trouble. he turned the tbars up so the truck is level, it sits real nice.

Shorts <-- its not what you think...and don't ask what it is /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·

hi ajm i put cutouts on a friend 89 1/2 ton with a 3" body he's running 35 now but is goin to 38's ,35's without a lift might be a little tight id find a buddy' tire's to try before you go out and buy tire's that won't fit

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

90, do you think with a 1" body lift and about 1" of torsion cranking would clear them?

G

·

should be able too just trim a little heavy on the rear fender adge you can do that since cutouts are not an exact fit

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

90, do you think it would be possible to trim the flares a little? I've been thinking about doing that too, just a little on the bottom so it isn't very noticeable. Do you think they could be cut without cracking or breaking or something?

· Registered
229 Posts

AJM,
With 1" and cut outs you should be able to get 35s, but since you are still out in SoCal, why don't you just pick up an 87 or older 3/4 ton or better yet 1 ton, with straight axles (should be able to find a rust free one out there), that we can do a junk yard lift on and you could run the 36s no problem, maybe even 38s.
If you get a chance check out the site in my sig, and let me know what you think.

Jeff427

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Jeff, I checked out the site. Looks pretty cool, I am registered on it with the same screen name as here. I'll poke around some more in the future.

Beleive me, the thought of picking up some rust free older iron out here is very appealing, but unfortunately the pocketbook, check book, and bank account don't agree right now. This thing, if it ever happened, would be something for the 5'2" fiance/wife to drive, so the IFS would be good, the low height would be even better, and I could find lots of good condition IFS 3/4 tons on dealer lots that could be had on payments in about 6 months when I am happily employed and she and I are residing in Michigan.

· Registered
229 Posts

AJM,
My screen name on Off-road.ws is Jeff472 (cause I'm putting a 472 in my Blazer).

I see your point on the $$$$ problems. If your not afraid of rust, we could probably find you a trail beater here in Michigan for fairly cheap. As a matter of fact I know where there is a late 70s Blazer in decent shape (some rust, but not real bad) for less than $1000 ready to go (runs and drives good). I can usually find good deals here, but some of them may need some patch work done to keep you from getting wet /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif. But if you don't mind a little work something to beat through the trails shouldn't be too hard to come up with /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Jeff427

· Registered
1,278 Posts

Hey guys! I'm on that web site too as this same user name, I haven't posted much over there but Phyte(the owner of the site) Is doing a realy good job with the site, And I hope it does well for him. (He's done all the coding and everything for the site himself too by the way)

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Jeff. Hmmmmm....that truck sounds really tempting. I'd rather spend a grand for a good beater truck that gets 10mpg and I can go play with than 6 grand for a little hockey puck on wheels that gets 30mpg. 6" lift + 36x14.5" Swampers = hmmmmmm........../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

You have any problems getting Caddy motors in Michigan? Their low weight, relative cheapness and availability, and insanely good power numbers are attractive to me. What tranny are you using?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
229 Posts

AJM, Actually there are quite a few older Caddys around for sale complete and for cheap, a common price I see them going for is $300. I know of a junk yard that sells them cheap too, I got a 472 and the th400 behind it for $150, and it runs.

I am going to use a th350 behind the 472, beefed a bit, TCI high torque low stall converter, and a Trans Go shift kit. The th350 will have less parasitic horsepower loss, and it should handle the motors power just fine as I plan on keeping the motor relatively stock (500 ft lbs will do fine for what I want to do).

Jeff427

· Registered
6,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Looks good man, tell me when you update it again. How's Mudzilla and the 500 powered Blazer going?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2" lift, 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD stuff/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

· Registered
1,278 Posts

If the 500 Blazer in question is the one owned by Donovan Well.........It got stolen a couple months back/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.