Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '93 Wrangler and noticed that the screws holding the rear of the hard top are star shaped as opposed to phillips or regular. Does anyone know where I can fing the proper tool to use on them?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sounds like a torx screw, you should be able to get them at most auto parts store, sears, anyplace they sell tools. They come in different sizes so you will need to know which size you need. The best bet is to just buy the kit with all of the sizes. You will need them, Jeeps are put together with torx screws.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buy a good set of torx. You will use them more than you could imagine. There are a few common sizes that you will need, so you could invest in the three or four sizes (i think 45 for the hard top, hinges, seatbelts etc.) and get a set that you can return when, not if, you strip or break them. For the hardtop, though, I use a large flathead screwdriver, which works fine for me.

Chris

'88 Wrangler 258 i6,Weber, bare bones (but not for long)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ahh yes, those would be the famous and loved-by-all torx screw. Follow the advise of the previous posts and buy a good set that has a lifetime warranty.

Rick
80 CJ7
258 T176 TR upgrade

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
IMHO... take every torx bolt you find and drown it in the furhtest depts of the see where the salt water will do it's best to destroy it. Then get a good replacement standard hex head bolt. A little anti-seize compound wouldn't hurt on the hinge bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts