Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the way to remove this retainer is to push down and turn clockwise, but it's at a very awkward position and I can't get to it easily. As you know, the retainer is down a centimeter or so inside of the shift tower, making it very hard to grip. The oily film on it doesn't make it any easier. I got tired of busting my knuckles and just wondered if any of you guys had some good techniques to getting that thing out. If it just requires lots of what I'm doing (grueling grunt work) then so be it. But if there's an easier way I'd love to know what it is. I've tried getting at it by reaching around the transmission from the underside, and also from the top.

Blake
93 YJ/4.0L/33x12.50s/D30 front/D35 rear/NP231/AX-15/3" Rough Country suspension/1.25" shackles

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If it is like the NP 435 to get it off I used two long rachet extensions I think .one in front one in back of the shift leaver ,push down and turn at the same time,something with a little more bite or knurling may help.It still took some grunting.I think to put it back on I used a socket with a big drive hole and put it down over the shift leaver and smacked it with a hammer while turning ,as I recollect that worked pretty good.though I am not sure if it was a socket or a small section of pipe.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif I usually spray it with WD-40 until it is REALLY clean and nice and free, then two fingers will push it down and get the bayonet mechanism free. Little pieces of grit get down into the gap between the retainer and the tower casting and they will make it hard to get out if you don't lube it up with some kind of solvent./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts