Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 jeep wrangler with full doors. I looked in the owners manual and it said that my mirrors are attached to the doors and it would be illegal to remove the doors until I get the mirrors mounted on the windshield. but it didn't say anything about how to remove the doors after that. I used to have a cj5 with a soft top and doors and all I had to do was slide them off I really miss the feeling of freedom that gave.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
These doors are removed in the same way as the CJ, but will be heavy and probably stuck pretty tight. Remove the nut from the bottom of the hinge, try spraying with PB Blaster or another penetrating oil, then start lifting and swinging at the same time. If they have never been off, you might need the help of a hydraulic jack under the door to help lift it for the first time. And be ready, these doors are much heavier than those on the CJ.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
I think all you have to do is remove the nuts on the bottom of the hinge pins and then lift straight up. I have a CJ and YJ but not a TJ and that is how the YJ hinges are.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
There are lots of aftermarket products to solve you problem, add-on mirrors, relocation brackets, etc. Check JCWhitney, 4wdhardware or Quadratec.

BTW most states only require a drivers sideview mirror.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a big deal. Just take the nut off the bottom of the hinge. Roll the window down and stand outside your Jeep with the door open. Reach in and grab the inside handle with one hand and the bottom of the mirror bracket with the other. Now lift. Done. Go to G.I. Joes and buy some mirror relocator brackets for $35.00 and bolt them on.

Jester

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you sure you need to relocate the mirrors?

In Illinois, I carry a copy of the Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5) that states that as long as the vehicle has a mirror that allows the driver to see clearly 200 feet behind the vehicle then I am OK without the doors. If I were towing something then the rear view mirror would be obstructed.

One additional item, relocating the passenger mirror makes it almost impossible to use that mirror when the full size door is reinstalled.

·
Registered
344 Posts
IC 9-19-12-1
Safety requirements
Sec. 1. A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded so as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear from the driver's position must be equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least two hundred (200) feet to the rear of the vehicle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

Indiana has the same law.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded so as to obstruct the driver's view to the rear from the driver's position must be equipped with a mirror . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently I don't need a mirror at all if I have a clear view to the rear from the driver's seat. But I know that to register a home-built motorcycle in Illinois you must have a rear view mirror.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts