Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing brake rotor \'77 CJ

Well now that I'm back from Colorado its time to start working on the Jeep again. The front brakes need replaced, and sadly I waited too long and the passenger side has started grinding into the rotor. So I need to either get it turned down or replace it. I've got a replacement, but either way I need to remove the old one. I've read in both Haynes and Chiltons how to do it. It doesn't seem like a quick easy process sadly. What tools am I looking at needing to get this done? From what I read I need a 1/4 inch Allen wrench, snapring pliers, a punch, and more. How long am I looking at having this whole process take? Would it behoove me to replace anything else in there? Is there anything the books don't say that'll make my life easier now or in the future? And can the place turn down my rotor with the goodies still attached to it or do I need to bring a bare rotor?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Re: Removing brake rotor \'77 CJ

I've been known to take my old parts, and the new parts to an auto repair facility to get some help. In this case I'd show up with just the hub / rotor assembly. I usually show up near closing time with a few select ice cold beverages /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif and see if anyone is thirsty for a few tax free $$ after work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just open the truck of the car, show the clean grease free parts and the iced cold beverages in the ice chest. Usually helps to find a repair facility that has a Jeep parked in the parking lot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
dave

·
Registered
946 Posts

You know they recomend only grinding the rotor not turning them. Very few places can do this. I would not be suprised if the surface finish from the factory is around 32 mils. Borrow a FSM someplace.

I've found it take a lot longer time to seat the pads with a turned rotors than a new one. There are lots of hills and valleys left in the finish when they are turned wich reduces the contact areea until the pads are set wich means cutting mating valleys and hills in the pads. I'm sure if someone takes really good care of the tool on thier turning machine they can get a desent finish but I've never found a place yet around here.

I actually have a set of 76-77 rotors that I bought by mistake. THey are the ones that are thicker. The PO on my jeep put the thicker rotor on my 79 axles but cut the pads down to fit. What a mess that was to get right. PM me if your interested but it would probably be cheaper to buy them locally then pay the price for shipping.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Funny, I was putting new brakes on last night on the axles from my 79. One side went slick as snot. The other would just not go on... maybe caliper not retracted all the way (new), nope. looked and they had 7/8 rotor on one side and 1 1/16 on the other. They had either used old pads or ground them down to work on the Left side rotor...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Do this yourself, you basically take the same steps as you would to repack wheel bearings, plus a couple. If you wheel in mud or water you will need to learn to clean and repack your bearings anyway.

Hub and rotor disassembly should be covered in any over-the-counter manual. From there you need an extra lug nut to spin on each stud and hammer them out. Then line the holes in the new rotor up and press or hammer the studs back in to hold it to the hub. Not very hard at all and as I said you need to get aquanted with your front hubs, lock outs, etc anyway.

You will need a snap ring pliars to remove one snap ring, the alen head wrench or sicket to remove the caliper slide, and a hub socket to remove the spindle nuts. Other tools needed are pretty straight forward. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts