Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rear D44 from a Scout II(79 I think). Anyway I need to replace the bearings and seals and I can't figure out how to get the collar of the axle shaft to get to the bearing!! I have the new bearings, seals and even a new collar. I know the collar is pressed on but how do I get to it with the axle flange in the way?? Is there a special tool??

I know a bunch of other guys on this board have Scout II D44's so any help would be appreciated!!

I have attached a picture to show you what I am talking about.

Chris
[email protected]
http://www.extreme-jeepin.com

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
take a drill and drill a hole about 3/4 of the way into the outside diameter of the collar, then split the collar with a sharp cold chisel. this is the factory reccomended procedure they sell you a new collar because the collar holds the axle in the vehicle never reuse it!
good luck jjc

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
i used a collar on my i piece amc 20 bearings... the place where i used the press had a special collar remover thingy..anyone with a decent press should have one..i also cut one off with a die grinder, but i wouldn't suggest that

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.