Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last sunday durring a trail run that resembled a train wreck,(busted axle,bent front dr shaft,punctured tire, bent bead lock,puntured steering stabilizer,dented door), I busted the passenger side(long side on a YJ) inner axle shaft at the inner splines on my Dana 30. I am using Warn High Strength Shafts (4140 alloy I believe). Heres the problem it snapped the shaft clean as whistle,(I have never seen one break so clean)right at the inner spline. I was able to remove the broken shaft, but the splines are still stuck in the ARB. There is just enough sticking out that I cant remove the ARB from the housing. In the past I have always used a magnet or in worse cases I use a long piece of steel rod and ground my stick welder to it while its placed on the shaft,it usually arcs the 2 pieces enough to pull it out. This time it isnt working, most likely due to the alloy steel. It seems to hard to try to run a long steel bit and try to drill into(especialy 2 1/2 feet in there). Any suggestions ?
This also brings up the old suggestion often preached by the wise sages of Off Road, "Make a breakable link at an area easy to service".
But being as how I already know "everything" and Warn Alloy Axles are never supposed to break, here I am as deep into the axle as you can get, fumbeling to remove a broken shaft.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
The only time I ever saw a situation like this they ended up completely removing the assembly form the vehicle, stripping it,
standing it one end, and some tapping and gently persuasion the darn thing finally fell out. Several hours worth of work for
a stupid axle that would normally take just a little while to change out.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

· Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of that except I was planning on driving it up on one end, its back together know without the axle shaft or drive shaft,(Jeepchick uses it for driving around town, she thinks shes cool),and the new shaft wont be here untii next Tues. There are some ravines just outside of town that I could roll it onto its side with no damage. But then I was thinking Id tap it out drive it home and be lodged somewhere else. Or I could fish it out there in the dirt. I was hoping for something simpeler.

G

·
I sure hope someone has a better idea. Good luck. Oh and BTW, only Mr. Ed rolls his Jeep on purpose (at least he acts like he does.).

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

· Registered
1,401 Posts
wow, i can't believe you can't remove the ARB assy. from the housing, usually when snapped of at the splines they do.
i'm not very familiar the warn axle.
how about trying to remove the ARB anyway and when the shaft stub prevents it, (pry slightly anyway, then push back into housing and rotate 1/2 turn and try to remove again, also slightly prying when stopped) i'm thinking you might be able to unstick (free) the broken shaft this way until you can remove it with a magnet through the tube.
good luck,
also tell us how you finally get it out.

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

· Registered
642 Posts
It's funny that you mentioned this problem today. I am finishing up installing an ARB myself into my D30, and just last night was wondering how I would deal with the situation you have found yourself in. Now that my ARB is all snugged into the housing, and the air tube connected to the bulkhead fitting inside the axle housing, I have serious doubts about the ability of the carrier to be removed now without destroying the spigot assembly.
Here's my battle plan....
Remove the opposite axleshaft, and get a thin, very stiff rod, and pass it THROUGH the ARB and you should be able to push the broken stub out. The only obstacles inside the ARB are the 2 cross shafts, but a thin enough rob should be able to do it, especially if you are going in fron the pass. dide.
Good Luck ,and make sure ya let us know how you make out.
Bob

· Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bob,
Great Idea,
I just got back from laying the jeep on its side and whacking on the tube and the housing. I didnt hear anything fall into the tubes but I was hoping it would loosen it. Ill try your idea tomorrow and let you know how it works. If it does work the long thin rod will have to become an essential tool. As to the other post about prying on the ARB. I had considered that and it is a last resort. But I have the all of the fittings working perfect right now, "it doesnt leak at all" I can fill up the compressor tank,turn on the ARB and walk away and it will not cycle all night long. I didnt want to start forcing things if I didnt have to. Besides its very tight in there and the break happened at the very outside edge of the splines which looks like it sticks out past the shim pack.My last set up on the front axle had a sweet mesh pattern, I hate to mess with it.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

· Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was no way to get anything through the ARB from one side to the other.
I ended up taking a 1/2" piece of all thread and mig welding a piece of welding rod to the end,then cut it to about 3/4" long. I slipped the all thread into a length of hose to keep it from grounding against the axle tube, grounded the axle then then touched the all thread with a stick welder. Then I pulled off the hose placed a piece of 1/4" steel plate with a 5/8" hole over the allthread, placed a washer and nut over the end and just screwed it out.
Jeff,
89 Wrangler

· Registered
4,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After cleaning everything out, I have to say this is the cleanest brake Ive ever seen, There was no metal pieces, no shavings, nothing. The splines werent even twisted at the break like usual. Im wondering if it wasnt a faulty axle shaft.It was warrantied. But it seems very unusual. Ill get pictures.
Thanks for the help.
Jeff
89 Wrangler(2WD untill Tuesday)

· Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Pretty good, Jeff.....darn good in fact!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I blew a truck axle once so violently that it splayed out like rose petals and we could not pull it back out of the small part of the banjo housing. It was too hard to just force the rose petals back to the center. We had to get rid of all the lube, pull the piggy, then get a torch and cut the axle end off. I had it sitting around the shop for years. We also had a device which we made to go in and slip over the broken piece and pull it. It was a pipe with a sort of one-way trap at one end. If there was not enough room for that, I have made a noose out of wire and snagged them that way. Your welder trick is real good, Jeff. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif transfer case team.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.