Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the Vortec "box" Don't know if I can feel any difference. What is the box suposed to do anyway?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I"vegot the 96 vortec350 abnd i don;t havea clue in te world what you're talking about. hat is this "box" you're speaking of? what kind of gains or losses result from doing this?
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "box" is just to the rear of the TBI. It has "Vortec" written on the top in large letters. It is connected to the air intake tube right before the TBI. As far as improvment it is very slight or not at all I'm not sure.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
i know which one you are talking about... its the one that kinda has 2 legs and sits over the distributor...right?

anyway, while the idea is there, you'd be better off getting/making a cold air kit by replacing the air box that sits over the throttle body. the way your set up is right now, you need to be careful- any junk flying around under the hood could get blown into the throttle body, then into the motor....which is not fun times.

the part of the air box that everyone removes is the part before the MAF(?) sensor, the one holding the air filter. usually they install some kinda open cone element with some straight tubing. the tubing end is then attached to the throttle body, then eliminating the stock airboxes all together. should you go custom, the things get kinda tricky as you have to account for the sensors.

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
hmmm, I"l have to pop my hood and take a look at it. Just for suture reference though, we don;t have TBI. We've got CSFI....Computerized Sequencial Fuel Injection. this along woth the vortec heads is what gives us the fuel economy advantge.
---Peacock

If it hasn't broken, let your girlfriend drive it...it'll break real quick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK; Of course I covered the hole left by removing the "Resonance chamber" box with a cap and hose clamp.

I do have a drop in K&N filter in the stock air box which I uncover in the winter and replace the cover in summer for more outside cold air. Nobody has answered the question yet about what the "box" is intended to do.:)

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
In reply to:

As far as improvment it is very slight or not at all I'm not sure.
well if better air flow is what you want, the obviously removing the little box does not help. if you seen little to no improvement, then air flow is not what that box was made to restrict.

Shorts <-- It's not what you think /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...and don't ask what it is

'94 Chevy K1500, with stuff...needs more stuff

·
Registered
240 Posts
The box is a resonance chamber. It is there to quite the intake noises, and does not affect performance. I would check to make sure that the "legs" that it sets on don't provide some sort of support for duct work. I sure don't like the hokey pokey way that the intake duct is attached to the throttle body.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea.. that was my guess ( to quiet intake noise) but it was an easy test and easy to reverse. No duct work was being supported. And I agree that it does not seem to restrict airflow although it may cause some airflow turbulence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts