Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with a guy in Dallas that has several remanufactured 2.5l(151),4.2l(258)and 5.9l(360) AMC/Jeep engines. These engines were purchased from a rebuilder that went out of business. The rebuilder was a former supplier to NAPA and they are rebuilt with all new parts. You can get a long block in any of the above sizes for $550 cash and carry no warranty. What do you guys think? I think I am going to go get one. All of the rebuilt engines I have priced at the parts stores are $1000 or more and have at least a $250 core charge. For $550 I don't think I can go wrong. I had visions of doing a 4.0 swap but I can't justify spending close to $2000 for the swap. For under $1000 I can have a running 258 with 0 miles. Comments??????

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm

G

·
Re: Remanufactured 258s for only $550????

Could always rebuild yours and know the quality inside...just a thought. Also, check your email

'85 CJ7 Bone Stock, in pieces..

G

·

He put well over 100k investment into engines?????

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 78 CJ7 "Issues" /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
886 Posts

There was a pretty big engine rebuilder out of Los Angeles that supplied engines to Napa, Auto Zone, Kragen. They were called 'Bonded'. It was a pretty big outfit. Apparently, they went out of business because they didn't reserve enough resources for warranty returns. I know because I had one that went bad, but they were out of business.

It's not a lot of money you're talking about, so it seems to be a toss up. The guy at Napa said they had a really good experience with those engines, but thought the company grew too fast and couldn't manage cash flow. FWIW.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler

G

·

a 360 with new parts for 550?
damn let me know if you get it and how it turns out
i just spent 350 on a 360 in need of a ring job plus

[email protected],

schaan

1980 CJ7 75% completed
1969 Early Bronco 40% completed

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hey Raymo,

That is the manufacturer. I couldn't remember the name. The guy said it was Bonded. Thanks for the tip. I think I am headed to Dallas tomorrow. I will check everything out and then post my findings.

Later,

Here is an article I found about Bonded from a engine trades magazine.
"Another Approach

In a completely different niche is Los Angles-based Bonded Motors, a publicly held company that focuses on large volume application and volume buyers. This company has invested in the capabilities to be an efficient, low-cost producer.

A relatively young firm, Bonded Motors had only $10 million in sales in 1994. In 1996, the year it went public, sales reached $18 million, by 1997 $25 million and in 1998, after Bonded Motors became an authorized engine producer for NAPA, sales exploded to $38 million, an increase of 52%. There are some problems in rapid growth Bonded earnings per share fell off sharply in 1998. Nevertheless, the companu is confident that over the next few years it will meet its targets of gross margins of 25% and net profit averaging 4.41/2%."

G

·

Definately post your findings I would be interested for that price also.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif 84 cj7 Laredo /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Superior 1 piece, more to come...../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

definatly let us know, if its s good deal, i might drive up there and pick on up too. Been thinking of converting my Scrambler back to a 6 cylinder, and even if I don't I could always use the engine to trade for something else I need in the future.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
2001 Bare Stock Trendy Jeep Sport (everyday driver)
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club

·
Registered
13,180 Posts

1. Buyer Beware.
2. No warranty.
3. Lot's of "He Saids.." here in this mix.
4. Do you have half a grand to throw away if it doesn't work out?
5. You can assemble your own long block for this about the same price and with a better warranty (on parts if nothing else!)... but then you'd know the engine builder.

IMHO it's too much of a risk for me to take. That's the price of a lift, or a nicer winch... half the cost of a glass tub. I guess it's all where one's priorities lay and how bad those priorities are knocking at the door.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

If it was me, I'd think of it this way... Do you want to buy a motor from a company that couldn't stay in business making motors? /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

I currently am running a RECON motor. No problems, and it was about $1000 w/one year unlimited mileage warranty.

Good luck with your choice.
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·

Do you have a number that we could call too?

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Success!!!
I have a shiny rebuilt 258 in the back of my truck. It was $550 and I think I got a good deal. The guy has several engines left. Probably 6-150(2.5), ?-258(4.2), 4-360(5.9). The engines are still in the boxes from the rebuilder and include all of the pertinent installation info. I also saw some other engines. There were some Chrysler 318s. The guy is a bit of a dumbass. He is selling the engines for someone else who fronted the money for the original purchase of 300 engines. He was 30 minutes late. I only saw 1 258 and I bought it. There may have been a couple of others but I would make the guy double check his inventory before driving to Dallas, remember I said he was a dumbass. Here is his number (972)-230-6587. His name is David, tell him you saw the ad in the paper for $550 or he will try to sell them for $700.

Later,
Tom

·
Registered
4,675 Posts

Sounds like a great deal.

easily worth the risk to me, thats $70 more than the cost of a master rebuild kit!

worst case scenario its a cheap rebuild, so! its worth $550 if its fresh.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hey Ozark,

I thought it was a great deal. If I was really worried, I guess I could tear the whole thing down and check the machine work. I am not worried, and tearing it down would defeat the purpose of getting a long block. I was almost tempted to buy a couple of the 360s and resell them. I am pretty sure that if I had bought three engines I could have gotten them for around $400/each. A 360 would have been really nice, but I like my 258s and I know them well. It will be a snap to install and I already have all the accesories. Let me know if you buy one.

Later,
Tom

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.