Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this as easy as it looks? Seems to me a little metal trimming and longer screws would do the trick. Just set the light assembly behind the tub use longer screws to put the cover on and you're there. It can't be that simple. Nothing else has been. The only problem I foresee would be waterproofing but one thing I can do is fab gaskets. All posts are greatly appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I used those 4 ince round lights that semi trailers use. It makes for a smaller hole. plus they are just a few bucks each. Ithey have some that has a rubber gasket goes in the hole then the light pops in the gasket but I used the ones than come with there own can. If you put them below thw wheel well then you don't need to worry about sealing it. You can get these lights at pretty much any parts store.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Hi Don. Jeepchick and I went through this several months ago, trying to figure out what the tail end of the CJ should look like. A LOT of thinking and ideas were sifted, and a lot of good input by Jeep guys. Here is what happened: (1) We wanted to be able to FUEL our CJ without taking all day and spilling two-dollar per gallon gas, so that meant re-doing the filler. THEN I wanted to get rid of the corners on the existing lamps which always catch on my welding jacket and unsnap it when I move around the Jeep, and always seem to hang up on berry vines when we go through thickets. SO...........we got a Chevy van circular recessed fuel filler from a Jeep guy who had an extra, and we bought after market taillamps from NAPA which had side markers. We put the fuel filler high and on the right...sort of where the RH taillamp was...the lamps are low....about where the filler was. We use tractor lamps for backup mounted on the bumper. The fuel hose makes a gentle downward ninety into the tank. We of course bought blank diamondplate corners for the rear of the Jeep./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Redoing the filler is already in the works and a must. thinking of going to the outside like TJs but on the right side. Dave do you have pics of this? Thanks again dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They don't come with backup lights in them. Not that I'v ever seen and I am a truck driver so I'v seen alot of them. I used a third light and put a clear lens in it( had to special order it) and mounted it below the brake light on the left. It balenced out nice becuse I left the ful filler mounted below the right one. I actually have no problems fueling but I did use a poly tank instead of the metal one and the filler is mounted slightly different on it. Jeepskate found a set of rectangular brake lights with backup lights in the middle of them froma postal truck, not the postal jeep but the little vans with the lights mounted way up high on the sides. Not sure where he found them though.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I have the original drawings that show the entire tail end. I'll send you a copy. Post your PO address to my personal e-mail and I will send you this stuff. We thought about ALL KINDS of arrangements, including a side fill, but ended up with this. This drawing is to scale and is for the '79 CJ7 I'll get the part numbers and write them on the dwg as well./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I am planning on doing this 3 jerry-can/spare tire split rack that came up in the tire-carrier thread and am wondering where to put my lights and fuel-filler. I will be moving the wheel-wells up to just under the soft-top frame slider-rail and cutting off the excess sheetmetal and doing similar work to the front of the Jeep for more clearance there as well. I was thinking of putting the fuel-filler inside somewhere, or moving it forwards (like on the early 5s), and integrating stop/turn/parking lights into the rack along with reverse lights.

<image src="http://www.members.home.net/lafriend/Mvc-001f.jpg">

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I noticed one of my moonguys/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif reading an article about putting the filler on the side. Would you like the straight scoop on that system??/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats where I'd ;ike to go with it but if you had success with your set up I may take the sure thing or the easiest. Thanks dave.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Don, We looked at a slew of possibilities for side mounting, and we have a nice article aout doing just that very thing. It was, however, easier to go to the high right rear spot and move the lamps. We wanted to change to a different lamp anyway. If you go in the side, you can use the late Jeep filler neck, OR the Chevy route van part like we did. The Jeep filler neck bolts to the inside of the Chevy recessed filler housing very neatly. Going on the side means some minor trimming to the inner panel of the body as I recall. You should get a big envelope soon with some Jeep stuff. I sent it on Wednesday from Monterey California. No, I wasn't golfing.....just testing those big noisy generators/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif No wonder I'm nuts.....my brain is vibrated loose from too much engine room time/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.