Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recessed tail lights - looking for pic\'s

If you have a web site that shows your recessed tail light install, post it.
I'm looking at possibly using some of those Truck-Lite LED tail lights, but was wondering what you guys are doing for backup lights.
So far I can't find any that I really like that would go with the LED tail lights. I would really like to avoid moving the gas filler if possible...This is on a '79 CJ-7.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: Recessed tail lights - looking for pic\'s

Chris....this is your lucky day! Not only do I have a site for you to check out, BUT I also have about fifty GOOD reasons why you should move the gas filler (the reasons can be found all over the tail end of CJs where the gas spills out) like we are doing on our '79CJ7. Go to Big Man, and click on him...then on his page...see his CJ with the recessed taillights. Then order a chrome filler out of JC Whitney that's made for the TJ's part # 81JR4380U ($9.95) and do yourself a HUGE favor by moving the gas filler. Don't for get that if your CJ has the side marker lights on the tail light you will need to add them as well.

CJDave

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas filler -was- Re: Recessed tail lights

My only problem with the gas filler (I guess its not really a big problem now that I think about it) is that my tub is glass, and I would have to fill in the original hole and re-paint again. But I suppose I could just get some corner guards and that hole would magically disappear.
Do you re-use your stock filler tubes or do I need to get TJ filler tubes too? Obvoiusly the easiest move would be around the corner to the right, but I can't picture what the tubes look like at the moment.

Wheres your web site Dave? I want to see the SnoJeep. I'm especially interested in how your distributer project comes out. I have a 304 also, but I can't picture shelling out $500 for an HEI that doesn't fit.

'79 CJ-7

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

I have a complere article that I got from Tom Curran, a Jeeper from the SFO Bay Area in CA. Tom has done this filler conversion, and he also gave me an article that was in one of the Jeep publications. I can FAX all this to you if need be. I have a big scanner, but don't know enough about computers yet to use it. The same goes for the page....I'm too inexpeienced to set one up at this point. Our SNOJEEP is coming along...although SO IS SNOWY WEATHER!! We are going with a modified Quadra-Trac behind a TH 400. I'm still scheming on the HEI...have rejected a lot of designs for one reason or another; but my motto is: "If you haven't gone thru at least five different ideas, you probably don't have the right one." The filler tube Tom used was yellow stripe hose which was fuel compatible. I believe he had a two-piece arrangement but I'm not certain. Yes, we are going to use no-hole corners to cover the fuel spot, but we DID consider some alternatives like a plate or even an extra light in the original body. Did you notice that Big Guy has a glass body on his CJ? If you want to see these filler pictures, I can FAX 'em. Just e-mail a number.

CJDave

G

·

When you relocate your filler, you may want to consider keeping the old hole open. Here's why, it makes a GREAT area to put an
on-board air connection! I'm not sure if you have a compressor now or are planning to get one but keep that hole open just in case!

Jeeper

G

·
Re: Recessed tail lights - looking for pic\'s

I was goint to use the led lights but then i fooud out they are $80 each. I even considered taking them off my semi but I don't think the co.would like that. The lights are semi trailer lights. There are 2 kinds. One that mounts in a rubber gasket and one that has a recesed can i used the later.You could mount them up high on the tub so they are inside the jeep instead of lower which puts them in the wheel wel but the fit with the filler iss tight.

Al
My web page

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Re: - Recessed...Mount \'em high!

This page is amazing. We have been absolutely AGONIZING about what to do about the lights; since I am real tired of catching my jacket on the edge of the existing fixtures. I wasn't all that anxious to cut yet another water path into the rear body and through the new corner guards we bought with no holes since we moved our gas filler. Mounting the recessed lights UP HIGH cures that problem...THANKS BIG MAN.... Now for that pesky license plate........

CJDave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.